Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing rusty screws.

My recently purchased 61 Ford Starliner convertible is a screw bottom model and the flat head screws that secure the chassis and body together are rusty as can be. Is there a method that can be used to safely remove them without damaging the posts that they tap into or a product that de rust them? I also don't want to run the risk of stripping them. I'm all ears.

Edited by John M.

Both a

3 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

You don't say whether the chassis and body are diecast but if they are, try a tiny bit of WD-40 to each screw.  If the chassis and body are plastic I'd just try backing the screws out carefully.   

Both are plastic. Thanks.

If the plastic is brittle, the posts can snap.  I have had it happen with AMT and Jo-Han bodies.  The fix is to cement the broken off piece back in with liquid cement, then sleeve the post with a piece of styrene tubing.

I would try gently and repeatedly trying to 'work' the screw to break it loose. 

Also, I think you could use a soldering iron to slightly WARM the screws. Heat will break the 'seal' and also warm the plastic to make it a tad pliable. Try gently removing while warm, and also after it cools if needed.....IMO

• Like 1

Soak them in WD-40, let them sit for a day, and then try again.

If it doesn’t work, I would personally just cut the chassis around the screws and then remove the screw posts.

That’s usually one of my first operations anyway as I normally replace the chassis with something more detailed, and nothing kills a nicely detailed engine faster than those ugly screw posts on the radiator bulkhead.

Steve

22 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Soak them in WD-40, let them sit for a day, and then try again.

If it doesn’t work, I would personally just cut the chassis around the screws and then remove the screw posts.

That’s usually one of my first operations anyway as I normally replace the chassis with something more detailed, and nothing kills a nicely detailed engine faster than those ugly screw posts on the radiator bulkhead.

Steve

I tried it Steve and the screws came out with ease after giving all four a good soaking of WD 40 and let it do it's thing overnight and the posts remained intact. The screws can be reused after gently removing the rust with a small wire brush. Thank you for the solution and to the others who responded.

Edited by John M.

On 10/21/2023 at 6:33 AM, 10543Modeler said:

PB Blaster works well also 

I've used this for a long time when trying to get a stubborn screw out.  I decanted into a small jar and then use an old paint brush to dab under the head of the screw with the car upside down.  Every so often I check and see if the screw will begin to move without too much pressure.  I keep adding more penetrating oil as I go.  Sometimes it'll take a day or two, but rarely does this method fail, and I've done LOTS of these over the years.