Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Renew The '62

6bblbird

One of the things that I like to do is buy "junkyard cars" at model shows (for cheap) and bring them back to life. This one is sort of a slump buster. Certainly not trying to build a contest winner. Just to have fun.

I started out with this:IMG_8811.thumb.jpg.659427c7f0f05ae3191f244c393762bd.jpg

Edited by 6bblbird
  • Like 1

While old JoHan bodies were excellent, the chassis pans were definitely not. I found that a Revell '68 Dart chassis fit perfectly. Not exactly correct but light years better than the JoHan part.IMG_9164.thumb.jpg.a1624e836547be1e7b72e9b39cba27b0.jpg

Just noticed that I forgot a driveshaft loop. Ooops, the tech inspector just failed himself!

• Haha 1

I wanted to install a 426 wedge but could not find a decent set of headers so I dropped in a HEMI.

Instead of Super Stock, it will run in B/ Modified Production.

The photo shows the radiator support to look a bit rough. A piece of sheet plastic will fix that. Maybe. The hood on this one needs to remain closed! The camera brings out all the ugliness! LolIMG_9165.thumb.jpg.ade8a69af765dd625a7a189ff771c303.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! This little project was something to occupy my time while I search for a new place to live. Thought it would be quick and easy. Well it turned out to be a p.i.t.a. .  For whatever reason, I could not get paint to stick to this old plastic even though I used a quality primer. Testors white enamel was just horrible. Painted and stripped it twice. Got some Tamiya lacquer and that was better but it "fish eyed" in spots. Stripped it again! The fourth time was the last time. It was better but still not up to par. I actually put the red stripe on the roof to cover the "fish eyes" once again. I do like the stripe though. The chrome on most of the parts was just gone so I used foil on the bumpers and a Molotow pen on the other parts. Its a nice back of the shelf model.

WF

• 2 weeks later...