Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fundimensions “80 Trans Am

MPC was purchased by General Mills in the 1970s, along with Lionel Corp.  Both brands were often marketed together.

From Wikipedia:

"In the late 1970s, General Mills created a separate identity for its toy and hobby arm, CPG Products Corporation. During this time, MPC kits were marketed as part of CPG's Fundimensions Division. General Mills's ownership lasted until 1985 when it sold off its hobby companies. ..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_Products_Corporation

Is there no MPC branding on the Firebird kit?

It's not a kit, it's a promo.  Just sold in unassembled form.  These started with the '74-'76 Formula Firebirds, and changed to Trans-Ams for '77-'81.

Like the '70-'73 Formulas, these (except the '77-'81) could have been assembled as easily as other promos.  I suspect they were done this way so the "kit size" box could be used, allowing photos of the 1:1 car unlike the normal promo boxes that were used then. 

The '77-'81 Trans-Ams had those diaplanes and rear spoiler that would have been tough to put on during promo assembly, and the '79-'81 ugly nose piece didn't fit very well even in the kits.  If the '77-'78 was tough to assemble as a promo, the '79-'81 was impossible.

Too, if these had been sold alongside kits, there would have been a bunch of people asking why they didn't have opening doors as shown on the box.  Heck, the T-roofs weren't even cut out on these.

I believe these were sold through GM/ Pontiac parts departments.? A friend of mine delivered parts for Hollywood Automotive, Dearborn, Mi to Detroit area auto dealerships. I remember him, saying that's where he got them.  He told everyone he knew that he collected promos or models! Anyone have a catalog with the GM/ Pontiac part numbers in them??Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Correct, promo item handled by (some) dealers.  A few dealers still handled them, others didn't want to bother. 

I bought a carton of '84 Corvette promos from a dealer, sold ten of them to pay for the two that I kept (which are still probably worth about as much as each of the ten that I sold in '84).

When the Buick Reatta and Regal promos were current, I swung by a couple of Buick dealer parts departments looking for them.  The counter men looked at me like I had three heads.