Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galaxie 1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster

33 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

Now that would be a really interesting build ! Not that I liked 47 Chevies back in the day but for nostalgia sake one would be awesome. How is the kit and to get one though ?

They can be hard to find since I don't think they are issuing them anymore. The kit gives you the grills to build a '42 and the '46 and '47 as well. They also offered a two-door sedan and a sedan delivery. Excellent engine with a nice 3 carb setup and some chrome bits for the engine. There have been many pictures posted here in the past. Very tight parts fit and well detailed, you might want to look over the instruction sheet before starting.  

IMG_1343.JPG

4 minutes ago, espo said:

They can be hard to find since I don't think they are issuing them anymore. The kit gives you the grills to build a '42 and the '46 and '47 as well. They also offered a two-door sedan and a sedan delivery. Excellent engine with a nice 3 carb setup and some chrome bits for the engine. There have been many pictures posted here in the past. Very tight parts fit and well detailed, you might want to look over the instruction sheet before starting.  

IMG_1343.JPG

Wow that looks awesome and sounds it as well !

I found one at a hobby store listed online. Ebay is nuts on price for used but they do have a scant few listings.

1 hour ago, espo said:

The kit gives you the grills to build a '42 and the '46 and '47 as well.

Actually, the 46, 47 and 48 models. The 42 grill would be a welcome addition.

The eBay prices are nuts for sure but I've managed to snag the Aerosedan and the sedan delivery versions both for decent prices on eBay. I got the woodie version from the Galaxie Limited website for retail some time last year. I believe they're closed for business now though.

I'm wanting to grab the coupe version too, but the prices are way too high at the moment.

Incedentally, nice start on the kit! I'll be following as I had a real 48 Aerosedan that I was building into a hot rod, however life got in the way..

DSC03041.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

I found one at a hobby store listed online. Ebay is nuts on price for used but they do have a scant few listings.

I think your best bet would be at a show/swap meet. You could always post here on the forum you are looking for one. Someone may be open for a trade with you if you have something that they are looking for. 

22 minutes ago, redscampi said:

Actually, the 46, 47 and 48 models. The 42 grill would be a welcome addition.

The eBay prices are nuts for sure but I've managed to snag the Aerosedan and the sedan delivery versions both for decent prices on eBay. I got the woodie version from the Galaxie Limited website for retail some time last year. I believe they're closed for business now though.

I'm wanting to grab the coupe version too, but the prices are way too high at the moment.

Incedentally, nice start on the kit! I'll be following as I had a real 48 Aerosedan that I was building into a hot rod, however life got in the way..

DSC03041.JPG

That is a cherry looking Chevy. Always hurts to look back at what could have been. The picture I sent Dave G. was of a model I built a few years ago and was ment to show how nice these kits are since he said he wasn't that familiar with them. I'll share a picture when finished, you may even like the color. 

IMG_1412.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave G. said:

I remember getting mine from hobbylinc. I have seen this kit at hobby town for $50 which is the cheapest I’ve ever seen it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, espo said:

IMG_1343.JPG

Dude, what a great start...I'm loving it so far!

Galaxie had Monogram do a run of the Sizzler and Long John dragsters but never owned the tooling. After Gary Schmidt passed a few years ago everything was eventually sold including the tooling.

Pegasus/Mobeus now owns the molds and any remaining inventory of previously run kits. 

I built each one of these kits several years ago.  They were great kits to build, quality detailed parts and fit was excellent.  The only thing I did different was to make the body accent chrome strips out of evergreen stock for a more realistic appearance.  The kit pieces were just flat pieces of chrome tape.

I had experience with two of these cars.  In the late 40's, the next door neighbor had a dark grey coupe (bought new) and rode in it many times as she was the only one with a car at home during the day and often gave us neighbor kids rides to elementary school along with her daughter.  The other was during my late teens.  A local parts store had one for making deliveries and a buddy was a part time driver after school and in the evening.  Rode shotgun with him many times.

IMG_7680.JPG

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Derek,

I’m not sure if you’re still looking for the etch parts for the Galaxie ‘47 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Aerosedan but Spotlight Hobbies has it available. It’s priced at $6.95 plus shipping.

https://www.spotlighthobbies.com/all-products/decals/9131/galaxie-limited-chevy-fastback-sedan-delivery-photo-etched-stainless-steel-metal-transfers/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,    
Wolf

Edited by Wolf

13 hours ago, Wolf said:

Derek,

I’m not sure if you’re still looking for the etch parts for the Galaxie ‘47 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Aerosedan but Spotlight Hobbies has it available. It’s priced at $6.95 plus shipping.

https://www.spotlighthobbies.com/all-products/decals/9131/galaxie-limited-chevy-fastback-sedan-delivery-photo-etched-stainless-steel-metal-transfers/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,    
Wolf

I needed decals for my kits, they had them and it was like $8 per set.