Model Cars Magazine Forum

Base grille to fit the AMT 67 annual Camaro

I've been gathering the parts I'll need to try and replicate my brother's 67 base Camaro 396.  I have AMT 67 annual parts including body and tried to fit a later release  Z28 grille (which looks ok) but as I was afraid it was too narrow as they changed the front end a bit in the later releases.  I've been searching here and in some aftermarket resin vendors but have come up empty for this grille that will fit the annual.  Any suggestions?

Thanks as usual!

1967-chevrolet-camaro-chassis-number-100001--the-first-camaro-ever-built_100554712_l.jpg

37 minutes ago, Jack L said:

I just tried a Revell 67 R/S grille in a 67 AMT annual and it is close so the Revell 67 standard should  fit 

Unfortunately I don't have that kit to check but I can keep my eye out to see if something turns up.  Maybe someone can confirm before I take the leap and buy the kit for the grille.  I thought the Revell 67 kit had the SS emblem in the grille too.  I need the plain grille.  Unless there's two different grilles in that kit.  And I'm needing the contour of the grille to fit the AMT annual too.  So many things to consider 😉

Thanks Jack

19 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

Unfortunately I don't have that kit to check but I can keep my eye out to see if something turns up.  Maybe someone can confirm before I take the leap and buy the kit for the grille.  I thought the Revell 67 kit had the SS emblem in the grille too.  I need the plain grille.  Unless there's two different grilles in that kit.  And I'm needing the contour of the grille to fit the AMT annual too.  So many things to consider 😉

Thanks Jack

The Revell standard '67 grille does indeed have SS in it too.

AFAIK, only the AMT '67 from around the '80s/'90s had the standard grille with the regular Camaro emblem like in your pic. Both Revell kits are SS and the AMT annual's stock grille was the R/S grille.

28 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

The Revell standard '67 grille does indeed have SS in it too.

AFAIK, only the AMT '67 from around the '80s/'90s had the standard grille with the regular Camaro emblem like in your pic. Both Revell kits are SS and the AMT annual's stock grille was the R/S grille.

The 80s/90s AMT kit you refer to would probably be the same as the current Z28 release?  I have that one and it's too narrow.  I'm guessing I'm looking for something that may never have been, unless there's something accurate in resin that would fit the 67 (or 68) AMT annual.  Worst case, I go ahead and use the later release base grille and leave the gaps on either side of the headlights.  Unless I can figger out how to fill in the gaps without uglying it up.  I like the accurate shape of the fender ends the way they are in the annual.

Thanks Steve

Edited by hedotwo

3 hours ago, hedotwo said:

I have the MCG 2066 set for the 67 Camaro but not sure how that will help with my problem.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks Andy

Well, IF you can get a hold of one of the Revell grilles you could carefully sand or trim off as much of the "SS" as you can and after painting the grille section black just attach the photoetch piece on top kinda like I did with this Malibu.

131 3123

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Well, IF you can get a hold of one of the Revell grilles you could carefully sand or trim off as much of the "SS" as you can and after painting the grille section black just attach the photoetch piece on top kinda like I did with this Malibu.

131 3123

Hmmmm..... more to think about.  Right now I'm leaning towards just using the Z28 correct, but narrow, grille and just leaving the gaps.  But, I guess I could experiment with the Revell grille if I can find one.  Would you know if the "V" shape of the Revell grille works with the AMT annual?  That would be another thing to consider.

Thanks Steve

Edited by hedotwo

4 hours ago, hedotwo said:

Hmmmm..... more to think about.  Right now I'm leaning towards just using the Z28 correct, but narrow, grille and just leaving the gaps.  But, I guess I could experiment with the Revell grille if I can find one.  Would you know if the "V" shape of the Revell grille works with the AMT annual?  That would be another thing to consider.

Thanks Steve

Sorry, Rich, no. I don't have an annual so I can't compare them.

You'll have to rework one of the available kit grilles, or scratch one.  Nobody will do an aftermarket part for a kit that hasn't been produced for 55-plus years.  In my own long ago experience, demand for an aftermarket conversion or part dropped to near zero when the base kit wasn't readily available.

• Like 1

An alternate way of dealing with the gaps is to wick/fill it in with Testors window maker which dries crystal clear. It VISUALLY pulls color from both sides of the gap making it less visible. I have been using this technique for years to tone down the "air gap" between chrome bumpers and a painted body.

HO Olds marker light.jpg

Engine DS.jpg

Edited by Bills72sj
  • Like 1