Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram ‘30 Packard Phaeton

papajohn97

2 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

Thank you guys for all the nice comments! 

I’ve been shopping online for more of these Monogram classic kits and thinking about picking up the Jo-Han Caddies as well. I’ve read that these classic car kits never sold well compared to other car kits so I’m surprised that they are so plentifully after 50 -60 years and most are still available in the $25 - $40 range. Another reason to buy and build more of this genre!

The Jo-Han quality is very good despite that they were produced in the 60’s. 

A wonderful Builld John and the photography techniques make it look even better. The color combo is uniquely beautiful and your idea to paint the wheels red is a stroke of genius. It adds up to a very realistic looking model. Something about these old Monogram kits. Simple but they nailed the look.

• Thanks 1

I have this kit in my stash along with the Cadillac and the Duesenberg SJ.  Just looking at this build makes me want to dig one of them out and build it.  The change of wheel colors does make it look more realistic.  But I am taken more by the paint stripe along the top of the body, that is some outstanding tape work.  Really like this build.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2023 at 8:25 AM, papajohn97 said:

Thank you guys for all the nice comments! 

I’ve been shopping online for more of these Monogram classic kits and thinking about picking up the Jo-Han Caddies as well. I’ve read that these classic car kits never sold well compared to other car kits so I’m surprised that they are so plentifully after 50 -60 years and most are still available in the $25 - $40 range. Another reason to buy and build more of this genre!

I have seen the same thing. The JoHan and Monogram "Classics" kits just don't have any demand.