Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beetle fans! Help me make it come together!

I know next to nothing about Beetles.  But I suspect the steering rack on the AMT Superbug Gasser kit is set up for right hand drive instead of left.  All reference pictures I’ve looked at show it flipped from how the instructions show it.

Can anyone here confirm my suspicion, or let me know if I’m wrong?

Thank!  I’ll get by with a little help from my friends! (Sorry, couldn’t help myself…😂)

IMG_3508.thumb.jpeg.15f977d03ec48ef95692ecebbd6ff811.jpeg

2 hours ago, oldnslow said:

The detail drawing in the lower right shows the correct installation .

The two views actually agree with each other.  The lower right section view is from the opposite side.  I’m questioning if they’re correct and if the kit is made correctly.  The rack doesn’t come close to fitting properly.

Actually, it's not a "rack". What looks kinda like a "rack" is actually a hydraulic steering damper, like a shock mounted sideways.

While it is possible to retrofit a torsion-bar Bug front end with rack-and-pinion, that ain't it.

The actual steering box appears to be represented by blob number 8.

image.png.2642316e58273f1924fa60cbfe7e0b30.png

Top view, LH drive torsion-bar Bug, below:

image.png.184d64b3ee6c869f8bd9e71ce6c604d7.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Actually, it's not a "rack". What looks kinda like a "rack" is actually a hydraulic steering damper, like a shock mounted sideways.

While it is possible to retrofit a torsion-bar Bug front end with rack-and-pinion, that ain't it.

The actual steering box appears to be represented by blob number 8.

image.png.2642316e58273f1924fa60cbfe7e0b30.png

Top view, LH drive torsion-bar Bug, below:

image.png.184d64b3ee6c869f8bd9e71ce6c604d7.png

Perfect!  That’s exactly what I was trying to figure out.  Thanks much.

I was considering building one from scratch if it was something that just didn’t make sense in the real world.  Still might, as the kit part doesn’t fit even remotely close.

For the record, I’m not knocking the kit.  Just trying to solve a problem with it.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 9:04 AM, atomicholiday said:

The two views actually agree with each other.  The lower right section view is from the opposite side.  I’m questioning if they’re correct and if the kit is made correctly.  The rack doesn’t come close to fitting properly.

Glad I'm not the only one that had this problem.  I recently built the Meyers Manx (same chassis) and I fiddled with that steering linkage for far too long.  Finally got it halfway close and decided it was good enough.