Model Cars Magazine Forum

After asking for a source for belly tanks from the question and answer forum I purchased a resin mold from Fremont Racing Specialties. When they came I found that the halves didn’t match.IMG_3794.thumb.jpeg.260019939025cd981bd879e3943879e6.jpeg

However, when I pinched them they would match up. Because I needed a front motor mount I used that to hold the width needed.

IMG_3818.thumb.jpeg.13831b8494cb99b2ded480b60705eac2.jpeg

With this project I find diagrams essential. The pic above shows  how the halves were different width and the math needed to find the motor mount width. Side view diagrams were also done to position the axel locations. IMG_3816.thumb.jpeg.8a10ee9d21e10af1d13adb792873a26f.jpeg

Now onto the more fun stuff. The Moon Tank behind the engine will be for fuel. The heads and intake were stripped of their chrome and painted with non-buff aluminum from the last remaking bottle on earth. To me wiring is always worth the effort. It adds so much realism. Between the engine and the seat is the water reservoir. Right now it’s just a circular drum but I’m messing with the profile to get the look I went.
Anyway that’s it for now.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

This project has two principles. The first is the belly tanker and the second is the transport truck. Rather than split them between two catagory topics I’ll take a chance and hope the administrators allow me to piggy back the truck on this topic. 
 The car is coming along. The stash didn’t provide a suitable seat so a simple bomber seat was fabricated. I was getting concerned about how congested the driver area was becoming until I came across a picture of driver seated in one and saw how cramped he wasIMG_0871.png.177b9d1d6143cdf65b7544f391d1afa8.png

IMG_3847.thumb.jpeg.6649b62e661e7a9b1596519aee6a7523.jpeg

The nice thing about a two part project is you can move from one to the other as you mull issues. So the car is on pause while I work on the truck. It started life as a 1937 Ford pickup. The bed is extended as is the frame. A club member located some era correct wheels. The rear axel is from the parts  box as are the springs. The bed needed to be raised clearance and the front axel had to be lowered from the frame to clear the fenders. 
IMG_3864.thumb.jpeg.365f062a7322c8e8465bd49fd6b13751.jpegIMG_3869.thumb.jpeg.f39d3d3e82b3c3cdb943bfd913fd8401.jpegIMG_3869.thumb.jpeg.f39d3d3e82b3c3cdb943bfd913fd8401.jpeg

Anyway that’s it for now. Thanks for looking

Edited by slownlow
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, absmiami said:

Love that truck - reduce depth of visor a little ? - if you have any more assembly photos of the truck before attaching the bed - pl post - gracias - 

Here’s a couple of looks at the frame modifications. The kit frame was cut as it began its upward sweep for the kit rear axel. Then a narrow rail was overlapped to support the wider member the rear suspension is attached to. The width of the upper piece was dictated by the tires clearing the bed. The length and width of the bed was set by how much room the car needs. Hope that all makes sense.

IMG_3888.thumb.jpeg.7f743fd8a19a2ffc6e3364067650846f.jpegIMG_3896.thumb.jpeg.b39c92cad5f39a53771a0dc50d155880.jpeg

• Like 2

Great Project!

The Bed / Frame modifications are done the way it would have been back in the  day.

Measure, cut, measure again, weld.....

I've seen a number of Farm / Oilfield machinery that was modified just this way. You have a great looking truck project.

The Belly Tanker Racer is neat. 

Good Show!

I’ve made progress on both the car and the truck. On the car the exhaust outlets are, measured then measured again and just to be safe measured once more. Then with tremendous courage the holes were drilled. The final pipes are yet to be bent. Looks like they will require a complex bend. Wish me luck.
 The truck got a fuel tank made from the air pressure tank off the L-700. The wood for the bed is fitted also but the stain and varnish will go on after painting. 
 Still debating what color to use. I’ve done enough red and black combos to last a while so vasilating between an electric blue or just some faded old truck look for both the car and the truck. For a sponsor John’s Lubritorium has been chosenIMG_3908.thumb.jpeg.0be0aa7af3a5ddca962420244dcb4bf7.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/24/2024 at 9:14 AM, stavanzer said:

Great Project!

The Bed / Frame modifications are done the way it would have been back in the  day.

Measure, cut, measure again, weld.....

I've seen a number of Farm / Oilfield machinery that was modified just this way. You have a great looking truck project.

The Belly Tanker Racer is neat. 

Good Show!

Thanks Alan.  I spent some time in the oil fields at Elk City, OK in the mid 70s when you couldn’t buy a job elsewhere.

Edited by slownlow

Nice craftsmanship.  I agree with others on the truck - that work seems like some of the older stuff I remember seeing around my Granddad's farm - everything was purpose built.   Really enjoying seeing the belly tanker.  In the picture where the guy is sitting in a belly tanker - are those zip ties (!) holding those lines along the left side of the cockpit?  When did zip ties come into existence? 

Such a cool build - definitely worth following.

image.png.0c5f0449f0882e5addec649056353b29.png

Not really a good place for someone with claustrophobia.

Enjoying watching this dual build come together. That old truck and the Flattie powered tanker are where Bonneville came from. Looking forward to updates.

• Like 1

Belly Tankers are an under appreciated hot rod modeling subject...probably due to no kits. After finding out that the real ones often used a surplus P 38 Lightning drop tank...I was lucky to find one on eBay as a starting point. Of course it was 1/32 scale...so everything after that I had to source from 1/32 scale kits. Talk about a challenge...it gives you an appreciation for stuffing ten pounds of stuff in a five pound bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2024 at 2:47 PM, Jiml0001 said:

If you ever get the itch to try one.......Let me know    These are P38 scaled to 13 feet long and 36 inches in diameter (1/24 scale)

)IMG_0203.JPG.2353d04e24030b726df4b2b3887a57f3.JPG

Youve got my attention ! Where are those sourced from ? PM me if you have complete info.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updates. Both the car and the truck been getting attention. The car has received tie rods, a half a** shroud over the engine, a wind screen, and radius rods. I plan to paint the car raw sienna,  like the shroud, unless I change my mind. The whole theme of this build is total lack of sophistication so some design features will be crude and the colors simple and subdued. 
 The trucks wood bed is stained gray and then golden pecan. To simulate planks saw kerfs are cut part way through and then highlighted with a pencil. Storage box added to the right side. The color of the truck is burnt sienna.IMG_3938.thumb.jpeg.dfd2840a36dfcd14792dd2e36b80a4f6.jpegIMG_3940.jpeg.8a2cc81e7ab3d5358b6c099816929c1b.jpegpIMG_3933.thumb.jpeg.75cfbaf1a3231fc6cb7edf000374c68f.jpeg 

IMG_3928.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, dirtbag said:

Where can I find a 1:25 - 1:24 belly tanker? 

See my very first posting in this topic I identify my source there. At the time I got mine there was only one left but they may have recast more. You might also try a search for 3D printed sources.

Edited by slownlow

• 2 weeks later...