Model Cars Magazine Forum

Molotow Chrome finish; when paint goes bad -- what?

I thought it was a major event when first Aluclad than Molotow introduced their chrome finishes, and have used them a lot with good results.  But now my 'refill' size Molotow doesn't give anything but a rather coarse silver effect.  I usually don't do modeling in the hot months, saving them for 1/1 restoration projects, so the cannister just sat undisturbed for half a year.  Usually, I agitate/shake any paint to get a consistent mix, like the factory intended, but so far this hasn't helped this supply -- it simply won't give the ultra-smooth and fine texture that a plated surface demands.  So, any remedies that have really worked for you?  Or just relegate it and buy a new bottle?  Wick in far-N CA

It has a shelf life of around a year once opened. I wouldn't even bother with the refill as the 6 and 8mm tips are cheaper and has the refill inside anyway. The left overs can be mixed with craft acrylics and tamiya so it can be useful to make a flat paint metallic but it will never be chrome again. also the molotowe pens are much cheaper from grafitti stores, the model places add another 50% when they sell it. they can keep longer if they dont get temperature fluctuations but the longest i've had one last was about 18 months and it was stored in a cool cupboard. I suspect it may be the alcohol carrier evaporating from the ink which causes it to lose its lustre

15 minutes ago, redscampi said:

That's a thing? For taggers and stuff?

yeah, i get a lot of paint from graf city in wales, much bigger tins if you need non metallic colours too. they are pretty thin but cover well and 8 quid ($10) a tin. loads of different paint pens too including some you put your own paint into which i want to try. maybe on my next paint order

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

It has a shelf life of around a year once opened. I wouldn't even bother with the refill as the 6 and 8mm tips are cheaper and has the refill inside anyway. The left overs can be mixed with craft acrylics and tamiya so it can be useful to make a flat paint metallic but it will never be chrome again. also the molotowe pens are much cheaper from grafitti stores, the model places add another 50% when they sell it. they can keep longer if they dont get temperature fluctuations but the longest i've had one last was about 18 months and it was stored in a cool cupboard. I suspect it may be the alcohol carrier evaporating from the ink which causes it to lose its lustre

A year? you mean at least 5 years....

I personally wouldn’t waste my time or money on the stuff anymore.

It’s expensive, undependable and nobody can tell you what it’s going to look like on the model over time.

Might last forever, but then again, it might not.

I’ll let everybody else be the guinea pigs.

BMF and Alclad do everything I need them to do, so I personally have no use for Molotow.

Steve

• Like 1

all the chrome on the underside of this elco was done in january 2017. it has not been cleared and was done with the 2mm pen. It has sat in a cabinet since then. it is over duplicolour clear and paints. It has lost some shine where its a bit thinner but the majority still has a shine

DSC09077.JPG

DSC09076.JPG

• Like 1

Well I'm still a fan of the Molotow. I've had a refill for a few years and my process on the last wheels I did was Krylon Silver Metallic base the two pretty heavy coats of the Molotow. As I remember the first coat was dull but the second coat went on very chrome like.  Just my 2-cents worth.

Edited by TransAmMike

Wow, great responses!  Thanks, everyone.  Guess I'll order another refill, and sadder but wiser.  I started making airplane kits in nineteen fifty-three (1953) and switched to cars 'cause I wanted to customize them in '58 or '59 (not too much has survived from that phase, perhaps luckily!) so when Alclad and the Molotow appeared I thought it was the answer to a maiden's prayer -- oops, probably hadn't go that gender stuff any more? -- and I've had good luck until now.  The Molotow was easier than the Alclad and had always looked chromier.  Lucky it wasn't around in '59 or all my builds would have had more than just chrome frames!  Since I do a lot of spraying finishes, I think I might try mixing it in for an experiment.  I use mostly PPG stuff from my days at the local store, and also doing 1/1 restorations.

I am glad to have chrome paint as an adjunct to BMF; they both seem to have uses dep on where applied, huh?  I tried Krylon bright silver from the rat-can, but while nice, it isn't sparkly enough.  Well, I'll risk the price of another bottle, and see what I can cook up using the over-age stuff.  Thx again!!  Wick, age 78

• Like 1

I've been working on a model of this P51 using the AIrfix/MPC 1/24 kit. I used a 3mm Molotow pen several years ago and it's still shiny, I have no pictures of the build. The work stop order is I'm missing the tail wheel.  The invasion strips have to be adjusted to fit the decal sheet I got, The model is not proportioned to the real plane.

44950187781_10ba92cce5_h.jpg.5cb2f4a5d206b7960472455fdf29c243.jpg

greg