Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Surf Shark (my version): WIP

David G.

20 hours ago, Randy D said:

This one is looking great David!!

Good call on the divider..  Nice detail on the radio and the window tint looks spot on!!

Randy

Thank you Randy!

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Here's an update from the "I just can't leave it alone" department.

There's just one more thing that I can't live with. The angle of the gumball machine on the roof has never seemed right to me. I tried to get used to it the way it is but it just never looked right to my eye.

It's time to fix that.

59_Amb_65.jpg.4b7b736a92ea5ad75e2391ae91145a95.jpg

I cut a piece of styrene tubing and filed it to an appropriate angle.

59_Amb_66.jpg.405d1e4ab97a0d4c1cae60ee0bf79ac0.jpg

The tubing is a little undersized and though it's not perfect, I think it will meet the need. I may correct this at some future time. But I'm just as likely to live with it the way it is. I suppose I could also file down the beacon base but I don't feel like re-chroming it right now.

59_Amb_67.jpg.f7cc51f12de305ea22d897b398ba235c.jpg

I apologize for the less than optimal cell phone photos but my real camera is in the shop and... "The build must go on!"

Thanks,

David G.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, David G. said:

Hello Everybody!

Here's an update from the "I just can't leave it alone" department.

There's just one more thing that I can't live with. The angle of the gumball machine on the roof has never seemed right to me. I tried to get used to it the way it is but it just never looked right to my eye.

It's time to fix that.

59_Amb_65.jpg.4b7b736a92ea5ad75e2391ae91145a95.jpg

I cut a piece of styrene tubing and filed it to an appropriate angle.

59_Amb_66.jpg.405d1e4ab97a0d4c1cae60ee0bf79ac0.jpg

The tubing is a little undersized and though it's not perfect, I think it will meet the need. I may correct this at some future time. But I'm just as likely to live with it the way it is. I suppose I could also file down the beacon base but I don't feel like re-chroming it right now.

59_Amb_67.jpg.f7cc51f12de305ea22d897b398ba235c.jpg

I apologize for the less than optimal cell phone photos but my real camera is in the shop and... "The build must go on!"

Thanks,

David G.

I recognise that feeling David . . . When something is nagging at you, and it's not quite right, you just have to address the problem !

The beacon was angled ever so slightly forward . . . Now it is perfectly vertical . . . Job done !

David

Easiest fix for shaping beacon lights to body is to place a piece of sandpaper with the grit up and sand the base of the beacon to form the shape of the roof. In 1:1 the base is thin metal so it can be cut to form the roof shape and finished off with a rubber gasket.

P1000544(2).JPG.1601b816d63af6411f688b5caa59aa12.JPG

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1
added photo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

I recognise that feeling David . . . When something is nagging at you, and it's not quite right, you just have to address the problem !

The beacon was angled ever so slightly forward . . . Now it is perfectly vertical . . . Job done !

David

Thank you David, it's nice knowing that one is not alone when it comes to such things.

17 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Easiest fix for shaping beacon lights to body is to place a piece of sandpaper with the grit up and sand the base of the beacon to form the shape of the roof. In 1:1 the base is thin metal so it can be cut to form the roof shape and finished off with a rubber gasket.

P1000544(2).JPG.1601b816d63af6411f688b5caa59aa12.JPG

greg

Thanks Greg, as I mentioned I did consider that but I wanted to be sure leveling the beacon was worth the effort before I started altering it.

I may still do that. But for now at least, I just need to be done with this one. 

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Light looks good David, looks good to me!

Thank you most kindly Carl!

David G.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everybody!

Now that I have some of the other events and occurrences in my life settled and dealt with, I've found some mental energy to finish up with some of this build's loose ends.

As you may remember, I tried adjusting the angle of the gumball beacon on the roof using a bit of styrene tubing. It wasn't an ideal solution but I thought I could live with it.

After a few weeks of living with it, I decided that I could no longer live with it and corrected that angle issue the way I should have done in the first place. I removed the beacon and filed its base to allow for the slope of the roof. I like this much better!

59_Amb_68.jpg.106ba563c12f6c63c07d9a84d0b32324.jpg

I also attempted to correct another problem that was bothering me. The window decals. When I originally placed the decals I used Micro-Set and Micro-Sol as I normally do. However two of the decals on this side immediately developed this unwanted texture that just wouldn't go away. All the other decals laid down and smoothed out as expected except these. *All* the other decals, the ones on the body and the ones on the glass, behaved as expected, except these two.

I found some Walthers Solvaset and thought using that might make a difference. It did not. 

Given that the undesirable texture seems to be limited to these two decals and and seems to follow a pattern, I'm guessing that there was some kind of contamination on either the surface or the decals themselves. I guess it's one of those things I'll just have to live with.

If anyone has any ideas as to what's causing this, please feel free to share them.

59_Amb_69.jpg.53b95d1766df3072d591a69ae847ce47.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to post any comments you may wish to share.

David G.

• Like 1

How's the antenna installed? Looks a tad long due to the big loop, but that might just be the image. I had an idea for making one for my car. They make those straight pins with different sized plastic heads on them. I thought if I could find the right size, I'd drop a small spring down the pin shaft and glue that in place. Then cut the pin off and put my wire into the spring. Then glue that big ball to the bodywork and loop my wire down like you have yours. 

On 3/13/2024 at 8:56 AM, Randy D said:

This one is looking great David!!

Good call on the divider..  Nice detail on the radio and the window tint looks spot on!!

Randy

Thank you Randy!

I'm pretty much done with this one... finally!  ...and I'm currently editing my end-of-build photos. 

So here's one of those photos to answer your question regarding the antenna mount.

59_Amb_70.jpg.ae441c4dc05a2a57b6035bc1efa48bda.jpg

During my research for this build, I did see several similar mountings for whip antennae. Though I think their ends were attached to the rear bumper or a second body-mounted point. 

The antenna itself is a 17 gauge guitar string stuck into a base from the parts box.

59_Amb_59.jpg.86ee6bfce15bb394b9d457f452633cf4.jpg

Thanks for the question Randy! I'm always happy to share information and tips.

David G.

• Like 1