Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have a pile of the Revell kits, so figured one would be a good candidate for a 1-ton conversion.   I'm thinking about making a wrecker body for it.  🤔   Not much to show yet, but I've got a new rear chassis section, leaf springs, HO72 axle and 17.5" wheels to assemble.   The kit chassis will be cut off near the front of the cab and this new section grafted on.  Front suspension stock, but with the new 1-ton brakes/ hubs.

C30_01-vi.jpg

Edited by dodgefever
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Great project, will be watching this one! Looks like all the correct parts for a mid 60's 1 ton build. Are the conversion pieces your own making?

Yes, I drew them in FreeCAD and printed them.  Doing some research on the wrecker... might end up badged as a '66, because a Holmes 440 looks a lot easier to build than a 400.

Posted (edited)

No real progress, after reading @TheBEAUMONTGURU's thread I've been staring at the grille and thinking about how to improve it.  Better photos of the mock up anyway...  Wheel/tyre fit might look sloppy, but they're only loosely put together here; can't glue them until they're painted.

C30_04-vi.jpg

C30_06-vi.jpg

CAD drawing. The sharp eyed will notice the missing U bolts.  I couldn't see a way to print them without them breaking, so figured I'd use wire.

C30_03-vi.jpg

Edited by dodgefever
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very cool, I had a '65 C30 years ago. 

I have a stalled '60 Chevy wrecker in the works, used the Revell Midnite Cowboy wrecker back. I'm looking for a 3D printed source, most are sold out quickly.