Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell ‘71 Plymouth GTX

7 hours ago, BDSchindler said:

When I did my GTX, I also opened the grill.  It was a long process but well worth it in the long run.  I dechromed the front bumper and blended it into the body

GTX7.jpg.ffa2d44e4b4249c91701257306105bc3.jpg

GTX6a.jpg.06da288932b4b57583bf3ad129547383.jpg

GTX3.jpg.1d5245512fecf1eee4b8962d825a3f4a.jpg

Your grill looks great!   And the finished build is sinister.   Looks awesome. 

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I did anything with this project.  During the intermission, I decided to change color since I got my paint booth set up finally, and there are so many more colors to choose from.

I’m going with a factory color, autumn bronze, from Scale Finishes.  For my first try at airbrushing in many, many years, I thought it wise to test the paint out first and see what it’s gonna look like (and see if I still remember how to do this).

This is what I’m going for:

IMG_3857.jpeg.f45900f9df85f75627b651274f775bec.jpeg

Here are my spoon test results.  This is over a grey primer.  To my eyes, it’s a touch lighter and a little more reddish.  I think I’ll try it out over a black primer next and see how it looks.  Also, I considered picking up the same color from MCW for comparison.

IMG_3858.jpeg.143e59fb77acb55bff383e8050141b4d.jpeg

• Like 1

If I might make a suggestion before you paint? If you’re already aware of this then feel free to tell me to shut up 😂 the seam where the front valance attaches to the fender isn’t supposed to be there. The body line indentation yes but the open seam no. 

I see people miss that on this kit as well as the 70 T/A Challenger and the 71 Hemi Cuda.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pierre_tec said:

This one seems closer that your spoon test, its common with metallic colors thru pics and real life

IMG_0383.jpeg

I agree with what you're saying.   And one factor could well be sunlight.   This one does appear much closer to the spoon, and the lighting is completely different.   I'd love to see it in bright sunlight for comparison. 

Also,  I see a lot of these on the web in the same color that look much more brown with no reddish tinge.   Interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to ordering some MCW paint for this and it arrived yesterday.  There’s a pretty big difference between the MCW and Scale Finishes paints considering they represent the same color.

MCW is on the right in both pictures.

IMG_3887.thumb.jpeg.51dc715bc44f8d98ed4cb87d5a28c34e.jpeg

Here are the two test shots side by side.  Grey primer was used for both.

IMG_3888.thumb.jpeg.eb7cd3846e316cd6808113943c737a48.jpeg

My opinion, both look terrific.  Both spray really well.  I do prefer the flake in the MCW.  But I think the Scale Finishes shade looks closer to the real car I posted above.  That’s the one I’m going to go with.👍

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Started laying the chrome strips and overlap for the vinyl roof.  This is my first attempt, and I was pretty nervous about doing it.  I kept putting it off, but now that the paint is here, I don’t have any more excuses.😂

I used Tamiya extra thin cement.  Once it cures, the strips will be trimmed and lightly sanded.

Am I missing anything here?  Seems to be going pretty well so far.

IMG_3889.thumb.jpeg.6ea49aaf3be0494e96b5f47a695913dd.jpeg

Edited by atomicholiday
  • Like 1

No, I don't think you're missing anything Jeremy.

Getting the proper amount of cement, enough to hold the thin strips in place without melting them.

Getting the thin strips to stay in place while the cement cures.

Doing all that without messing up the surface you're applying the strips to. 

Those challenges are pretty challenging and it looks like you've handled them all well.

No, I don't think you're missing anything Jeremy. It seems like you just have things well in hand.

David G.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 8:53 AM, David G. said:

No, I don't think you're missing anything Jeremy.

Getting the proper amount of cement, enough to hold the thin strips in place without melting them.

Getting the thin strips to stay in place while the cement cures.

Doing all that without messing up the surface you're applying the strips to. 

Those challenges are pretty challenging and it looks like you've handled them all well.

No, I don't think you're missing anything Jeremy. It seems like you just have things well in hand.

David G.

Thanks David!  Appreciate your comments!

On 4/11/2024 at 9:58 AM, drodg said:

I notice the MCW is lacquer and the Scale Finishes is enamel.  What do you prefer to work with? 

Actually, that’s the first time I ever shot lacquer through the airbrush, so I can’t comment too much.  I can say both sprayed really well.  The enamel seems to cover faster, whereas this lacquer went on in very thin coats and needed more of them to get good coverage.  Between these two tests, my opinion, I think the lacquer looks better.

But really, I’m a complete novice with lacquer.

• Like 1

Quick update.  Not much work has been getting done, due to some other hobbies intruding into my modeling time.

But today I worked on the top a bit more.  Trimming, filing, sanding, etc…  Still want to scribe a few of the short strips.

I did mess one step up.  After going back and rereading Steve G’s instructions, I realized I shouldn’t have put strips on the top.  Just got ahead of myself.  My bad.  I think I can make it work out okay this time.  Lesson learned, and for the next one, I’ll go with paint for the seam lines.  It should be more in scale that way.

IMG_3892.jpeg

On 2/8/2024 at 6:19 AM, atomicholiday said:

Your grill looks great!   And the finished build is sinister.   Looks awesome. 

Thanks...been a minute since I viewed this topic.  I went the opposite route with the suspension...rather than raising the rear of the leaf springs, I left those the stock height but removed material from the front suspension to lower it about a scaled 1.5".  Using "Z" wheels meant a lower profile tire for the front and the lowered suspension along with the smaller tire profile gave it the stance I was looking for...

GTX1.jpg.a16d27df239187ba1912e49cbaf43cc4.jpg

GTX2.jpg.037f1cc3610fe7455d0749cda5bc7d67.jpg

I also did the BMF trick and removed the paint on the valve covers for the ribs and "Viper" of the Viper engine I used...

GTX4.JPG.e88f717cc084a42984cc47a770cb3d84.JPG

Your build is looking great!

• Like 1