Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fire investigation unit

I finished up casting the bezels.  On two of them I cut off the turn signal lights.  They are the red flashers that go above the headlight bezels.  I used Molotow pens 1 and 2 to finish them off in chrome.  The lenses have been cast for the light portion.  For the turn signals I'll mix up some two-part epoxy and drop some into the bezel, letting it build up a small amount in the center.  Then the epoxy will be painted with clear amber.019.JPG.b928f162f19dde9a4c9ae104b237b090.JPG

On 1/30/2024 at 3:44 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

I finished up casting the bezels.  On two of them I cut off the turn signal lights.  They are the red flashers that go above the headlight bezels.  I used Molotow pens 1 and 2 to finish them off in chrome.  The lenses have been cast for the light portion.  For the turn signals I'll mix up some two-part epoxy and drop some into the bezel, letting it build up a small amount in the center.  Then the epoxy will be painted with clear amber.019.JPG.b928f162f19dde9a4c9ae104b237b090.JPG

Looks great,  silicone is out of stock  at micro mark , so I have to wait a bit   To make the mold unless I can find it at another vendor

The bottom half of the mold has been made,  My thanks to Charlie for all of his guidance. Putting the tape on the back side of the bezel,  I can see has already made a huge difference from the first mold attempt.   Will cast the second half of the mold and then see what the final results are. I am  following Charlie’s instruction step by step.

Dom

IMG_5815.jpeg

IMG_5816.jpeg

IMG_5817.jpeg

IMG_5818.jpeg

Finally got the  light bezels molded. The tape did the trick. Much cleaner resin cast part. There was minimal flash and clean up. Just  need to file  a bit  in some places. Also made a mold for the grill. Was thinking of doing a black chrome for this truck instead of the traditional chrome.

IMG_5824.jpeg

IMG_5825.jpeg

IMG_5826.jpeg

20 hours ago, Aaronw said:

Coming along nicely. 

I really enjoy watching people make things out of nothing, scratch building parts, resin casting, printing decals etc. 

thank you, the resin casting is new for me, but it is working out great so far. Had a few issues at first, but now got the process working. I don’t have the capability to print decals, and  there are  very few online , so I am stuck with what I can find.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Firebuilder said:

thank you, the resin casting is new for me, but it is working out great so far. Had a few issues at first, but now got the process working. I don’t have the capability to print decals, and  there are  very few online , so I am stuck with what I can find.

That is one of the joys of light colored (white, yellow etc) fire apparatus. Decal film and a regular printer work just fine for decals. 

These are a couple I did close to 20 years ago just using decal film, Microsoft Word and an ink jet printer.

FordHazmat1.jpg.8d02707c19d9175835f9a50cf627f9de.jpg

You can even get around the darker colors by using white decal film. I printed the text on white decal film and then cut the white film into strips for the striping and door logo. On darker colors sometimes you need to double up the white film to keep the color from bleeding through.

Bronco.JPG.e0207fc1c1eb83c876cb1536d09e9e08.JPG 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aaronw said:

That is one of the joys of light colored (white, yellow etc) fire apparatus. Decal film and a regular printer work just fine for decals. 

These are a couple I did close to 20 years ago just using decal film, Microsoft Word and an ink jet printer.

You can even get around the darker colors by using white decal film. I printed the text on white decal film and then cut the white film into strips for the striping and door logo. On darker colors sometimes you need to double up the white film to keep the color from bleeding through.

17 hours ago, Aaronw said:

Aaron , Nice  looking decals, my computer skills are limited, wouldn’t even know where to start to make the stripes and emblems like you have done .  Can the letters be made with a shadow  effect  with micro soft word?  

16 hours ago, Scott Eriksen said:

Looks great Dom !  I had to apply Scotchlite vinyl chevrons on a few real rigs .... not fun!

Scott,

thank you.  And I would not want to try  this on a real rig!  I leave that to professionals like you . It took a while to tape this and get it all  to look even.  I was worried the grey paint would bleed under  the tape due to the tread plate , but  luckily it was  only minor in a couple of spots and a quick touch up of the red was easy enough.

• Like 1