Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would a car modelers Hades be like:

On 1/14/2024 at 9:06 AM, bobss396 said:

There will be nothing but the Revell Unbuildables. The '56 Ford truck, the OG '31 Woody, '56 Chevy and so on.

These kits were a struggle in my younger years. If I broke something... I was up a creek.

Especially most of the old "Hot Rod" Series of kits...

• Like 1

I think I actually lived one of my worst nightmares at the last show that I attended.

The show was held in a vacant store in an old half empty strip mall.

In the hallway, right outside of the store was a large jungle Jim style playground where there was a single woman with several small, extremely loud and obnoxious children playing.

As the afternoon progressed, I happened to be just hanging out in the hallway, stretching my legs when this woman decided that it would be a good Idea to keep these little monsters occupied by taking them into the little toy car and airplane show to run around like a bunch of tiny lunatics!

With 3 models representing probably 3 years of toil sitting on the tables, I quickly started feeling a tightness in my chest!

I had never thought of myself as a child hater, but that day I was seriously contemplating where would be a good place to dispose of the bodies!!

Luckily, by some miracle, no damage was done.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve I know your pain. Years ago I flew to Chicago for a show and meet friends from Wisconsin. At the show a displayer had a full size ad along with his tables and his young daughter no taller than the tables picked up this 3x5 sign and ran up the aisle towards my display. Thank God her parents grabbed her before reaching the tables.

greg

6 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

I was referring to the shallow interior detail, and crappy promo type chassis (like the 67 GTO)

I understand, but that's not much of a consideration for me anymore.

I wasn't much of a fan of these types of interiors and chassis in years past, and I still can't say that I am, but the most important thing to me now is subject matter, so if there are aspects of the model that I don't like, I'll change them.

It not only corrects the issues, but it insures that your model will be something completely unique.

My last 1964 Pontiac Bonneville project, although an AMT kit and not an MPC, illustrates this concept.

These old annual kits were all lacking in basically the same areas, but I've begun to understand that it's not only possible to overcome these problems, but it can be a lot of fun as well.

Researching and finding existing modern kit parts to substitute, modifying existing parts, and scratch building others, is a great way to hone your building skills, and if you have an open mind and some determination, you can make something from one of these old sub-par kits that rivals any highly detailed modern kit without spending gobs of money on aftermarket stuff.

I'm having way more fun doing these kinds of builds now than I ever did building basically out of box, and as I said, when it's finally finished, it's truly unique, even though still a factory stock model.

This is model car heaven for me! ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

But it would be in Modeler's Hades. You could have all the MPC 67 GTOs you wanted, but there would be no Revell '66 GTOs to rob parts from.

The ONLY models you can have to work with were previously put together by 5-year-olds who used an entire tube of gloo to hold on every single part...kinda like a lot of what I used to buy on FeePay, listed as "adult built".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

But it would be in Modeler's Hades. You could have all the MPC 67 GTOs you wanted, but there would be no Revell '66 GTOs to rob parts from.

Or, you could say that my model builders hades would be nothing but models of cars produced after about 1977, or all foreign cars! 😮

I’d rather build airplanes. 😁

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

46 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Or, you could say that my model builders hades would be nothing but models of cars produced after about 1977, or all foreign cars! 😮

I’d rather build airplanes. 😁

Steve

Steve, man, not to sound like a fanboy, but with your attention to detail and eye for weathering, I believe you could knock an aircraft build outta the park!

;)

17 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I wasn't much of a fan of these types of interiors and chassis in years past, and I still can't say that I am, but the most important thing to me now is subject matter, so if there are aspects of the model that I don't like, I'll change them.

It not only corrects the issues, but it insures that your model will be something completely unique.

My last 1964 Pontiac Bonneville project, although an AMT kit and not an MPC, illustrates this concept.

These old annual kits were all lacking in basically the same areas, but I've begun to understand that it's not only possible to overcome these problems, but it can be a lot of fun as well.

Researching and finding existing modern kit parts to substitute, modifying existing parts, and scratch building others, is a great way to hone your building skills, and if you have an open mind and some determination, you can make something from one of these old sub-par kits that rivals any highly detailed modern kit without spending gobs of money on aftermarket stuff.

I'm having way more fun doing these kinds of builds now than I ever did building basically out of box, and as I said, when it's finally finished, it's truly unique, even though still a factory stock model.

This is model car heaven for me! ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

That is stunning!

I see your point and agree 100% with you on that, especially when a kit has been produced by more than one manufacturer. Some get the body proportions more accurate, while others have more detailed interiors or engine compartments. By combining the best features of the same kit from different manufacturers, you can create a visual masterpiece. It doesn't even have to be the same make and model, to take the best features from. This is what separates an assembler from a builder.

You brought that incredibly detailed model, you spent Way too much for on line and spent 5 years getting every aspect of the rare 1:1 just right, to the model show with a shoe in for 1st place, when some Ham Handed Goof pointing out the interior detail puts hid finger through the windshield and as he pulls back drags your precious pride and joy off the table where you watch in horror as it explodes on impact with the floor sending a myriad of small, intricate hand made parts, scattering through the exhibit hall and under the feet of the advancing crowd!