Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reduced Stock in Model Stores ?

The four Walmart stores in my hometown (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) used to have lots of car model kits and stopped carrying them just over 10 years ago. Now they only carry diecasts. So sad to see the decline. Amazon Canada sometimes have kits at a good price and being a Prime member, shipping most of the time is FREE.

Amazon.COM is a better place for models but my Prime is only valid for Amazon.ca. Shipping from the USA to Canada is often more costly then the purchase price of the kit. If only AliExpress would sell kits...LOL

• Like 1

I noticed the same thing - nothing in Walmart here for quite some time. In fact, many years ago, the local big box stores in all the malls had good selection of model kits and building supplies but that is long gone. Toy's R Us used to have kits too but that was long ago as well.

Amazon.ca has some selection. I am lucky that there are a number of decent hobby stores in the area ( Ottawa, Ontario, Canada ) with good choice. Also a number of Gundam/Gunpla/warhammer/fantasy focused stores. No interest in the kits but lots of interesting other bits, pieces, paints, and supplies.  

It always pays to support your local stores even if it costs a bit more. I do look deals at Michaels ( etc ) Gotta be frugal too.

Times change. Nothing you can do about except change with them.

cheers, Graham 

Walmart purged model kits from their shelves after the 2007 holiday season, give or take a year.  According to the UPC bar codes, they didn't move off of the shelves before they actually had to pay for them.  Toys R Us got rid of them before that if I remember right, I do remember they had massive quantities of AMT new tool '57 Chevy kits and they were blowing those out at three for ten bucks.

My buying lately has been a mix of local, online, and at shows.  I would like to do more locally, but local has to meet me halfway.  When I see new items marked up over retail, when I can have it sitting on my porch in a couple of days for a few bucks less...local loses every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Walmart purged model kits from their shelves after the 2007 holiday season, give or take a year.  According to the UPC bar codes, they didn't move off of the shelves before they actually had to pay for them.  Toys R Us got rid of them before that if I remember right, I do remember they had massive quantities of AMT new tool '57 Chevy kits and they were blowing those out at three for ten bucks.

Walmart runs a very effective business model. They calculate the sell through of every linear inch of their shelves. They are a net 120 account for their vendors and Walmart's contracts hold the vendor responsible for every returned item and anything that is left on shelf for clearance after the specified time.  And I believe that's why Round 2 got a new equity partner.  They still owned all that product, mostly diecast, in all the Walmart stores.  Imagine the cost of that inventory!

Michaels is their own set of problems.  They have cash flow issues to the point that they aren't replacing batteries in their warehouse forklifts and guys are schlepping everything around on manual pallet jacks.  Their business model is to have everything at a huge price and always have big percentage off sales.  For my stamp business I keep everything in those shoebox sized photo boxes.  At Hobby Lobby they were $2.99 and $3.99 depending on the decoration. I got a Michaels gift card from my credit card points with intent of buying those boxes.  Price $7.99 each!   Then over the holidays they had a big sale and I was able to buy them for $3.49 a box, which was free to me anyway but it's the principle!  I have now sworn off Michaels. And our local AC Moore closed down before the holidays.

I remember when ToysRUs blew out models.  I bought everything I could for $2.50 a kit. I went store to store and literally dumped the shelf into my cart.  The only thing I left behind were the stacks of AMT 57 Rancheros with the bad chop job!   I still see those stickers in my stash. 

Edited by Tom Geiger

13 hours ago, Kenmojr said:

Amazon.COM is a better place for models but my Prime is only valid for Amazon.ca. Shipping from the USA to Canada is often more costly then the purchase price of the kit. If only AliExpress would sell kits...LOL

Better? Nope. Prime or not, I would NEVER support Amazon because unfair treatment of staff.

My #1 go-to site for all my models and hobby supplies is and always will be Scalehobbyist. Fair prices, fast delivery (my orders arrive in 3 days tops), and a great selection.