Model Cars Magazine Forum

Talk to me about remote start setups

Monty

I live in the middle of the Midwest, which is currently experiencing some nasty weather.  It occurred to me that a remote start setup might be nice and allow the car (2005 Buick LeSabre) to warm up more than I have been.  

Any recommendations?  Any downsides?

40 minutes ago, Monty said:

I live in the middle of the Midwest, which is currently experiencing some nasty weather.  It occurred to me that a remote start setup might be nice and allow the car (2005 Buick LeSabre) to warm up more than I have been.  

Any recommendations?  Any downsides?

Three things I don't like about 'em.

1) More stuff to break, and if your installer isn't all that great, reliability can be an issue. Aftermarket auto-electric installers often use junk like 3M Scotchlok connectors and/or wire nuts, for instance. They're both failures waiting to happen.

2) You're not IN the car when you start it, so you won't be aware of anything that doesn't sound right on start-up. An odd sound on cold start-up can warn you of, possibly save you from, a catastrophic engine failure.

3) My extensive experience with aftermarket electronics has been disappointing, to say the least. There's often very little in support after the purchase, and warranty claims can be a nightmare...particularly if your installer fries something.

That said, you're probably better off taking the advice of someone whose job it is to evaluate stuff like this.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a34512303/best-remote-car-starters/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

We have had lots of them installed up here in the great white north. Never really had any issues with them. You can get both 1 way and 2 way systems…the 2 way will confirm to you whether the vehicle has started or not. Pretty simple install if you have an automatic transmission. The wife’s manual Jeep starter (not factory) requires a sequence of operations to “enable” it: 1)put trans in neutral. 2)release the clutch. 3)set the park brake. 4)release the brake pedal. 5)press the set button on the remote. 6)exit vehicle and lock it with key fob. 

Remote starters are mandatory in my neck of the woods. 

Over the years, I've used two main brands.

First is CompuStart.  I always recommend their 2-way remote start, so that you know if your car actually started or not. They have one with 2000ft range which is totally fine for about $500CDN installed, and another than I think is either 3000 or 5000ft. Seems excessive.

Second is the one I prefer. It's called MyCar and it ties in to your phone. Installation is plug and play, so no splicing or tying in to existing wiring harnesses. The remote comes with a 3yr plan, and after than it's like $10/month. Start your car from your phone, with vehicle monitoring, and from literally anywhere in the world. It's about $750 CDN.

As Bill alluded to, make sure you use a reputable shop to install it though, and unless you are very familiar with auto electronics, don't do it yourself. You can seriously mess up your vehicle if it's not done correctly. There are a lot of hacks out there, and some of those chain electronics stores hire those hacks. Pick a shop that specializes in electronics. Custom stereo shops are usually a safe bet.

Having said that, we don't do a lot of them anymore, as almost everything these days comes with a remote start, even the most basic models.

Fun fact, if you buy a new Ford, you don't even need to order it with remote start to get remote start. The car/truck will come with something called Ford Pass. Connect your phone and boom. Your phone is your remote starter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Fun fact, if you buy a new Ford, you don't even need to order it with remote start to get remote start. The car/truck will come with something called Ford Pass. Connect your phone and boom. Your phone is your remote starter.

I've got a similar setup on the Toyota I bought last month.  As cold as it has been in the past week, I haven't used it and don't really intend to.  Given a choice, I'd really rather have an engine block heater.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 1:01 PM, Mark said:

I've got a similar setup on the Toyota I bought last month.  As cold as it has been in the past week, I haven't used it and don't really intend to.  Given a choice, I'd really rather have an engine block heater.

Block heaters are actually standard equipment here. On most cars/trucks anyway.

On a number of my personal vehicles, I've added battery blankets as well in the winter months. Like a heating pad that wraps around the battery.

Although none of our current vehicles have them.

I know a lot of people that put pan heaters on their trucks too, and a lot of diesel guys install those Webasto pre-heaters.

• Like 1