Model Cars Magazine Forum

FUZZY DICE

This has been interesting reading everyone's thoughts and experiences on Dice and Rear View Mirrors. I think a lot may have to do with geographic location as well as time. The first ones I recall seeing was in the summer of 1956 and I lived a short bicycle ride from the beach in Santa Monica Ca. There was a Cafe/Bar hangout there at the bottom of the California Ave. incline that all the "cool guys" hung out at. They would jockey for the best parking spots to show off their cars and I noticed a lot  of them had the Fuzzy Dice usually done in colors to match their interior and or exterior color of their cars. While different the following year was when I started to notice many were switching to the rubber "Shrunken Heads" that PEP Boys sold. I even convinced my mother we needed one for our car. She would indulge me sometimes until I lost interest and then they just disappeared one day and I never asked why. 

On 12/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, Rob Hall said:

Fuzzy dice were from before my time, but I did have the graduation tassles hanging from the rear view mirror in the summer after high school, 1988.  Replaced by the college parking pass in Fall 88.  The dumbest thing I did as a kid then were the tinted headlight covers (no bueno at night) and hood bra that collected water under it.  

Same here, graduated in 1988, started school that fall. I thought I was really cool when I hung a miniature disco ball from the rear view, until I had to stop fast and the thing hit the windshield so hard it cracked it. 

In the 90's we switched to music CDs and then AOL CDs. Your girlfriends name on the back window of your mini-truck was also cool. Yep, I had a mini-truck in the late 80's-early 90's. I had to be cool.  

After I got married it was my wives garter from our wedding. I got the one she wore, she threw another one. 

Edited by Oldmopars

I went to HS in the early 90s, in my part of FL the big thing was a Crown Royal bag hanging from your mirror and one of those gaudy crown air fresheners that sat on your dash. I was driving a '77 Caprice with 80s Cadillac wire wheel covers. Thought I was super cool. Sold the Caprice when I got my '55 Ford Sedan on the road. Drove that to school my senior year.

s-l640.jpg

did the whole thing    big dice   high school tassel   garter from friends wedding   baby shoes  all on my 66 Ford Galaxy 500 Convertible.  That was then, This is now  a 2008 Escape with a handicap sticker hanging from the mirror       

Jeff