Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need information on micro magnets. (Answered, thanks)

Hello Everybody!

I've noticed that many builders in this community use micro magnets to assist with holding doors and trunks shut and properly positioned on their builds. 

I'd like to start doing this too and I need some information regarding type, size, strength, and best types of magnets to use.

I also need a US based supplier. I've done a little research so I know that the magnets are not expensive for what I think I need ($6.95 per 100 3mm) but shipping is a killer in the $7 to $10 range. 😮 Does Lowe's or Home Depot carry these?

I could also use some pointers on proper and effective uses.

Thanks to you all,

David G.  

Edited by David G.

Ebay is probably your best source for cheap. 

Typical: 200 pieces, 3X2 mm, about $10, free shipping.

Stateside industrial or retail suppliers are most likely going to be just repackaging and marking-up Chinese-made magnets anyway.

Far as use goes, every situation is a little different and will require thought as to the best way to use them. Probably the best method...you can have a piece of steel set into your door jamb, where the striker would go on a real car, and place the magnet in the door itself, where the latch would be on the real one.

One thing to remember on models as well as real cars: get your doors or other panels to fit their openings perfectly, and make sure your hinges don't bind.

You do not want to try to use the magnets (or latches on real parts) to align poorly-fitting panels, only to hold them closed. And correctly fitted hoods and decklids on models shouldn't need anything but gravity to hold hem shut

• Like 4

Even at an extra $7.00-$10.00 for shipping for 100 magnets, I don’t see what the big deal would be.

You know how long it will take you to use 100 magnets?

In any event, I bought some on eBay a long time ago, and to be honest, I don’t remember what they cost, or how much the shipping was, and I probably still have 85 of them left.

If you’re just using them to hold doors or hoods closed, it’s a pretty simple operation.

For doors, just use round magnets, drill a hole the correct size so that the magnet fits tight in the door and door jamb, and glue them in place so that their flush with the surface.

Hoods or trunk lids are a little more complicated, as you need to drill and glue the magnets somewhere into the engine bay or inside of the trunk, and then use strips of metal on the corresponding hood or trunk areas.

Personally, I’ve never used them for these purposes.

The only application that I’ve used the magnets for is for creating removable hood hinges.

I like to use them for this purpose for a number of reasons.

I can then fill in and eliminate those ugly hinge slots in the firewall or fender wells present in many kits, and it allows me to display my models with the hood off, closed or open, without the use of a hood prop, and without having to engineer actual functioning hinges.

These are done in roughly the same fashion as for keeping panels closed, accept of course their positioning.  

Remember to pay close attention to the polarity of the magnets when installing to make sure that they will attract and not repel each other.

9EA72464-0DCD-40B0-8473-35E555465C7A.jpeg.3c0fe565fd8b824265fead74bbdbc14e.jpeg5127400E-7C4E-400B-B066-CA5DC0EAD5A3.jpeg.d7369624299c3304a19e2b27f12cafb9.jpeg5F2437D7-EAA2-4D4E-8FDB-BFDAF57113C1.jpeg.803367d5c54ce0caea9dc03547797f6f.jpeg

CD655292-70CC-40E2-AC88-69A52380C9A7.thumb.jpeg.0d25eb58aa3c7cd1c322979cbac61f9f.jpeg0FE131A7-A573-4DBA-8A84-4ACF9AF2E830.thumb.jpeg.9f05264a2150cbb821231b8f2d71a6ba.jpeg6D328476-DFE4-42AB-8D0C-E6A7BA0050B6.thumb.jpeg.5d882ed9694072774060affc86ed4a77.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The only application that I’ve used the magnets for is for creating removable hood hinges.

I like to use them for this purpose for a number of reasons.

I can then fill in and eliminate those ugly hinge slots in the firewall or fender wells present in many kits, and it allows me to display my models with the hood off, closed or open, without the use of a hood prop, and without having to engineer actual functioning hinges..

Good tip right there, boy.   :D

I used them on my diorama items in conjunction with a hidden metal floor. It allows me to move the whole thing without too much disturbance. I also added them to the feet of my "crew" to help stay upright. I have used them on one flat bed trailer to make the front bulkhead removable.

Magnet upgrade 2.JPG

Magnet upgrade.JPG

Magnets for their feet.JPG

Crew at work.JPG

B magnets for front.JPG

With front bulkhead.JPG

• Like 3

Hello Everybody!

Thank you all for your informative responses, I now have much of the information that I need.

I placed my order this morning, thanks for the link @yh70!  Having the free shipping really helps as I need to keep an eye on my expenses!

@Bills72sj I remember watching you build your wonderful diorama. Seeing what you did with the steel plate in the base and using magnets as you did struck me as pure genius and is part of the inspiration to start using magnets in my builds where it's suitable.

@StevenGuthmiller Following you builds and seeing your use of magnets for the hood hinges is mostly what I was referring to when I mentioned using magnets for hoods and trunks. There has to be a way of using magnets to do for trunk lids something similar to what you do with hoods. I have a couple of builds that I would have liked to be able to display with the trunk opened or closed. Without the use of a stick as a prop. To me, using a prop just kind of breaks the whole image.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond, I now have 300 mini magnets on the way to me. Which at my rate of building should be more than a life-time supply.

I may have more questions once they get here but until then, thanks.

David G.

• David G. changed the title to Need information on micro magnets. (Answered, thanks)