Model Cars Magazine Forum

This build of Michael Schumacher's car  looks like an interesting project to follow.

It reminded me about Michael's suffering from that awful skiing accident, and that very little has been forthcoming about how he is recovering since. 

On 2/8/2024 at 9:56 PM, Roncla said:

i had preordered one of these off MFH and they even  acknowledged my order but then they never did get back to me and I see its now listed as out of stock.

I just realized that's what's happened to me. Chris commented on one of my threads and said he was building this car... after I had just said that I think I need to cancel my preorder. I know outlets list ordering an item that is being restocked as a preorder. But it's usually obvious. In both our cases it clearly was not. Actually, in your case, you actually saw the status change, so there's something more to this. I'm glad you posted this.

On 3/18/2024 at 4:05 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

...very little has been forthcoming about how he is recovering since. 

Because he's not. The prognosis is that he won't. Wow, life. What a trip.

On 2/29/2024 at 7:46 PM, Nacho Z said:

The shipping from Spain is inexpensive ...

Hold on, what?! I've stopped ordering any chemical products from outside the NA continent. Just add a 10 ml bottle of paint and the shippers slap a $60 hazards materials surcharge on the order. Are you using Spot Model?

Good to see you again. MS11??

On 3/2/2024 at 4:05 PM, Chris Smith said:

Well to tell you the truth I don’t know 😂

they do have on the real car have some sort of thermometer on the suspension that reads in deg Celsius. I was going by my reference photos.

As we know can’t have enough paint 😁IMG_4224.jpeg.2877f43bb563c791f188a2457ae18b52.jpeg

Could I get you to take a couple minutes and describe the methods and material used on the just the metal head of the arm and the bolts and other metal materials it's connected to. I'm especially fascinated by the "metal" tags at the very top of the arm, before it narrow. Man, you are good. Thanks for the input on my humble project, lol!

On 2/22/2024 at 11:23 PM, Chris Smith said:

I did have the rest of the rear suspension painted and decaled, I also had the rear brakes as well as the bottom of the rear wing. I added some carbon decals to the bottom wing. I like it better than the semi gloss black. 
I do enjoy having everything ready to go, then when I assemble it looks like I’m making progress. Hope you like 👍 

IMG_4213.jpeg

OK, how did you paint those calipers? I mean, how did you do that?? I'm thinking I will cancel that "preorder" of mine.

I was looking over the pictures again and realized that's not a caliper, it's a, um, I have no idea what it is. But I still want to know how you painted it.

Edited by 4knflyin

16 hours ago, 4knflyin said:

OK, how did you paint those calipers? I mean, how did you do that?? I'm thinking I will cancel that "preorder" of mine.

I was looking over the pictures again and realized that's not a caliper, it's a, um, I have no idea what it is. But I still want to know how you painted it.

I cleaned up the white metal parts by sanding the burrs and drilled the holes for the control arms. Cleaned the resin parts with dawn , hot water and an old toothbrush. Put the metal parts into the magnetic tumbler.

primed the parts and painted the brake rotor with Tamiya flat black and then used Tamiya graphite powder for give it a carbon effect.

Painted the rest of the parts with Tamiya semi gloss black, assembled as per instructions, then added the PE brace as per instructions.

the control arms are covered with carbon fiber decals. 
Hope this helps 

37 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

I cleaned up the white metal parts by sanding the burrs and drilled the holes for the control arms. Cleaned the resin parts with dawn , hot water and an old toothbrush. Put the metal parts into the magnetic tumbler.

primed the parts and painted the brake rotor with Tamiya flat black and then used Tamiya graphite powder for give it a carbon effect.

Painted the rest of the parts with Tamiya semi gloss black, assembled as per instructions, then added the PE brace as per instructions.

the control arms are covered with carbon fiber decals. 
Hope this helps 

Yes, thanks, it definitely helps. You answered things I didn't want to impose on you by asking. Using graphite powder (from a pencil?) so subtly created a great effect. But, and not atypically, I wasn't specific enough. What I really wanted to know is:

• Did you use a hand brush for body and lettering both/neither/split?
  • Which did you apply first, body color or lettering?
  • How did you use clear coat to assist, if you did, or any other techniques I may not even know about?

It could not have been done better. 

I should mention that, for all practical purposes, I'm a newbie, which is why my questions are so basic. I didn't use spray paint or an airbrush until December... three months ago! 😱  As a matter of fact, it was only last week that I think I finally "cracked the code" for using an airbrush effectively — it finally became natural for me the understanding and use of the relationship between compressor psi, nozzle distance from subject, and use of the trigger to vary the amount of paint. Putting those three together in a useful way somehow escaped me until now, three months later!

2 hours ago, 4knflyin said:

Yes, thanks, it definitely helps. You answered things I didn't want to impose on you by asking. Using graphite powder (from a pencil?) so subtly created a great effect. But, and not atypically, I wasn't specific enough. What I really wanted to know is:

• Did you use a hand brush for body and lettering both/neither/split?
  • Which did you apply first, body color or lettering?
  • How did you use clear coat to assist, if you did, or any other techniques I may not even know about?

It could not have been done better. 

I should mention that, for all practical purposes, I'm a newbie, which is why my questions are so basic. I didn't use spray paint or an airbrush until December... three months ago! 😱  As a matter of fact, it was only last week that I think I finally "cracked the code" for using an airbrush effectively — it finally became natural for me the understanding and use of the relationship between compressor psi, nozzle distance from subject, and use of the trigger to vary the amount of paint. Putting those three together in a useful way somehow escaped me until now, three months later!

This helps. Okay, I use a air brush on everything.

the lettering on the calipers are a decal as well as the rest of the kit.

I do as little brush painting if I can help it.

On 3/20/2024 at 10:37 PM, 4knflyin said:

Hold on, what?! I've stopped ordering any chemical products from outside the NA continent. Just add a 10 ml bottle of paint and the shippers slap a $60 hazards materials surcharge on the order. Are you using Spot Model?

Good to see you again. MS11??

Hello, Marcus!  I don’t want to hijack Chris’ thread, but to answer your question, I was talking about Gravity Colors paint which I order directly from them. I make sure to have a good sized order, usually ordering paint for my friends as well.  I couldn’t tell you the price of shipping from memory, but I never was shocked by the price.  Speaking of Spot Model, I just got an order in from them and the shipping was a little high, but in fairness to them, I did not choose the cheapest option.

Regarding the Matra MS11, it is on the back burner at the moment. I’m having fun building less detailed kits.  I’m having some sort of builder’s block on the Matra.  Not sure why.  I do appreciate you asking about it!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

IMG_4260.thumb.jpeg.ce0a8b232bdef21cdc5a7b34dca12301.jpegIMG_4261.thumb.jpeg.f232192856a66b0e2c72276118369df3.jpegAfter 3 coats of clear , some massaging with some 3000 grit and 5000 grit. Then I used 3 different polishing compounds , here we are. A few more small details then I’ll put a couple coats of wax on it.

Edited by Chris Smith
  • Like 3

Front suspension and brakes installed, it took a lot of patience to get all the carbon decals installed and it seemed like it took forever to get everything painted just to be at this stage. 
Hope you like 

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4264.jpeg

IMG_4265.jpeg

IMG_4266.jpeg

• Like 3

Front suspension and brakes installed, it took a lot of patience to get all the carbon decals installed and it seemed like it took forever to get everything painted just to be at this stage. 
Hope you like 

• Like 1

I could not sleep last night so I worked into early this morning. I was able in stall the seat and engine and also the lower body panels. During the week I worked on the cockpit surround and added carbon decals for a little more realistic look and also built the seat belts. Feeling pretty good about it at this point.

IMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4274.jpeg

IMG_4275.jpeg

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_4279.jpeg

IMG_4278.jpeg

IMG_4277.jpeg

IMG_4282.jpeg

IMG_4280.jpeg

IMG_4281.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

I’m really enjoying this one!  You are doing some really nice work here.

Ditto. You guys both inspire me and, if I allow it, make me jealous. I could have fit in some model building throughout the decades had I the patience to let them be long-term projects.

Qu: What is the — I’m assuming to be protective — material visible in the cockpit photos, and what specifically is its purpose. What is it protecting, if that’s it?