Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few old one's coming Round 2 Box art !

• Mr mopar changed the title to A few old one's coming Round 2 Box art !
7 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Wish they would have deleted that hideous long hood scoop and corrected the decals.  

OHIOGEORGEDRVR.jpg

I am surprised that someone like Slixx Decals has not done the correct ones for this kit, and someone has not done a correct nose for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I am surprised that someone like Slixx Decals has not done the correct ones for this kit, and someone has not done a correct nose for it. 

MPC should use the body from their Jolly Roger Maverick funny car. It's the same body (I have both) from the MultiMaverick kit without the long hood scoop. 

Jolly Roger JC.jpg

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, magicmustang said:

MPC should use the body from their Jolly Roger Maverick funny car. It's the same body from the MultiMaverick kit without the long hood scoop. 

Jolly Roger JC.jpg

so it begs the question, do they still have it? It is basically the Ohio kit, but with the better nose. Making a proper opening using this nose would be tons easier. 

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

so it begs the question, do they still have it? It is basically the Ohio kit, but with the better nose. Making a proper opening using this nose would be tons easier. 

Different chassis in the Jolly Roger kit (notice the engine setback).

12 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

The whole body is off in multiple respects. 

#1. The real car had much lower rear wheel arches, not radiused up high into the quarter panel like the kit's

#2. The top chop is wrong in the kit. The real car didn't have the a-pillars leaned back like the kit. The roof itself on the real car was lengthened to accommodate the chop. The kit's roof also seems to be raked downward at the front. The real car appears to have a dead-level chop.

#3. The real car had headlamps. The kit's are blanked off. 

And that's just kind of a start. It's too bad MPC didn't put more effort into making accurate replicas with some of their race car kits 

• Like 1

The reason the Maverick kit is different from the 1:1 car is that the kit was finished first, with the actual car deviating from the original design over the course of its construction.  That happened with two other kits earlier (XR-6 and Deora) making the kits slightly "off".

23 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Wish they would have deleted that hideous long hood scoop and corrected the decals.  

OHIOGEORGEDRVR.jpg

All I'm saying is, they corrected the front end on the Ohio George '67 Malco Mustang gasser (original kit had an incorrect '65 front end on a '67 Mustang body, they put a proper '67 front end on the latest release), why not correct this kit. They should have the Jolly Roger Maverick funny car body mold somewhere, use that body. Decals should be a simple fix. they change them on most rereleases.    

2 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

The whole body is off in multiple respects. 

#1. The real car had much lower rear wheel arches, not radiused up high into the quarter panel like the kit's

#2. The top chop is wrong in the kit. The real car didn't have the a-pillars leaned back like the kit. The roof itself on the real car was lengthened to accommodate the chop. The kit's roof also seems to be raked downward at the front. The real car appears to have a dead-level chop.

#3. The real car had headlamps. The kit's are blanked off. 

And that's just kind of a start. It's too bad MPC didn't put more effort into making accurate replicas with some of their race car kits 

image.png.454f66742645ec6588a521fb4c50eed6.png

image.png.33e8f0944fcc82276260616d716282e3.png

• Like 2

Guys, there's still more to the story here.   As mentioned in my book about collecting drag racing model kits, the backstory is that MPC was heavily involved in designing the Multi-Maverick, even to the point of paying for its construction in lieu of paying kit sales royalties to Mr. Montgomery.  In an Elapsed Times magazine article, Ohio George reportedly said that he only drove the car once, on an exhibition run, and then it went immediately on the ISCA/Autorama show car circuit. 

The kit itself was rushed to market to continue the sales momentum from MPC's earlier 1967 and 1969 Ohio Geroge Mustang Gasser kits.  The kit was actually really, really well detailed, and unlike most of MPC's drag racing kits back then, it had a unique, all new tooled chassis instead of reusing yet another application of MPC's by then way out of date first gen Logghe chassis. 

My take is that the kit was a very accurate replica of MPC's (not Ohio George's) initial design brief for the real car; it was only during the actual fabrication that changes were made to bring the MPC vision to actual 1/1 scale reality. 

Also, according to my book and as pictured in Jesse's post directly above, the "Jolly Roger" kit was actually merchandised as a funny car, with MPC's [much better] second generation Logghe funny car chassis underneath a modified Multi-Maverick body shell.  

Here is a picture of the Multi-Maverick kit I built from the Hobby Heaven (now Spotlight Hobbies) 2006 reissue of the original kit.....TB 

image.png.24db6bdb6423a841b32a74645ef048a7.png 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Guys, there's still more to the story here.   As mentioned in my book about collecting drag racing model kits, MPC was heavily involved in designing the Multi-Maverick, even to the point of paying for its construction in lieu of paying kit sales royalties to Mr. Montgomery.  In an Elapsed Times magazine article, Ohio George reportedly said that he only drove the car once, on an exhibition run, and then it went immediately on the ISCA/Autorama show car circuit. 

The kit itself was rushed to market to continue the sales momentum from MPC's earlier 1967 and 1969 Ohio Geroge Mustang Gasser kits.  The kit was actually really, really well detailed, and unlike most of MPC's drag racing kits back then, it had a unique, all new tooled chassis instead of reusing yet another application of MPC's by then way out of date first gen Logghe chassis. 

My take is that the kit was a very accurate replica of MPC's (not Ohio George's) first design for the real car; it was only during the actual fabrication that liberties were taken to bring the MPC vision to actual 1/1 scale reality.  Also, according to my, the "Jolly Roger" kit was actually merchandised as a funny car, with MPC's [much better] second generation Logghe chassis underneath a modified Multi-Maverick body shell.  

Here is a picture of the Multi-Maverick kit I buil5 from the Hobby Heaven (now Spotlight Hobbies) 2006 reissue of the original kit.....TB 

image.png.24db6bdb6423a841b32a74645ef048a7.png 

All I'm saying is: If they would correct it, I think a lot of us would buy another. I already have an original unbuilt and a built one in my collection.

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 1

That '53 is a finicky kit when it comes to the flip nose but with a bunch of trial fits it comes out nice. There are locating pins on the rear of the hood to lock it in place, it is best to remove them and add something more rigid. I installed straight pins as hood locks.

1 hour ago, blizzy63 said:

Here's a few more according to Stevens International...

amt1447.jpg

amt1441.jpg

amt1434.jpg

Three winners, here.

I'm all over that Boss Nova Wagon. & that '57 Chrysler Custom.

The Decals and tires will determine if I want another 39/40 Ford kit. The last one was great, but I'm not sure that this issue will be one I want.

The Boss Nova, though has been getting stupid money on the secondary market and I sold mine off. I'lll be happy to give Round2 the sale instead of some on-line vendor.

I hope they manage to get some "Wompin' Wagon" decals in there along with the Boss Nova decal.