Model Cars Magazine Forum

Venting spray booth out of casement window?

Anyone here venting your booth out through a casement (crank-out) window?

How are you sealing around it?  All the options I see on Amazon look like cheap plastic sheeting with a zipper.  I’d like to find (or maybe make) something a little more solid.

If the casement windows have removable screens, cut a piece of plywood to fit the opening. Using same or thinner material can be held in by the retainers for the screen. Add an appropriate hose connector to the ply.

• Like 1

Yep, just like 63SS350 said above, I use a thin plywood sheet that pops into the window frame. I put the bottom side in first, and it friction fits in place. There’s flexible foam on the outside edges that create a seal. I don’t worry about taking the screen out (paint particles don’t seem to be an issue gumming up the screen). IMG_7015.thumb.jpeg.78c9fd4935363e71432d198958a04b20.jpeg
The other end friction fits onto the spray booth vent pipe. I set it up when I need to use the booth. Only takes a moment to pop into place. IMG_7013.thumb.jpeg.809f17e14e792defd9e444eb8d5597e3.jpegIMG_7008.thumb.jpeg.d04fd015025c1f2de566e8140355b1fa.jpeg I built the booth using a scratch n dent sale kitchen stove exhaust hood unit. There are special replaceable filters (not cheap, but worth it) I get from Lowe’s.

IMG_7014.thumb.jpeg.4ab99cdcd7d781bf3cfcc9458dd0da4f.jpegYes, it’s a big booth, but I do truck and ship models, so I need them to fit.

Edited by vincen47
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, vincen47 said:

Yep, just like 63SS350 said above, I use a thin plywood sheet that pops into the window frame. I put the bottom side in first, and it friction fits in place. There’s flexible foam on the outside edges that create a seal. I don’t worry about taking the screen out (paint particles don’t seem to be an issue gumming up the screen). IMG_7015.thumb.jpeg.78c9fd4935363e71432d198958a04b20.jpeg
The other end friction fits onto the spray booth vent pipe. I set it up when I need to use the booth. Only takes a moment to pop into place. IMG_7013.thumb.jpeg.809f17e14e792defd9e444eb8d5597e3.jpegIMG_7008.thumb.jpeg.d04fd015025c1f2de566e8140355b1fa.jpeg I built using a scratch n dent sale kitchen stove exhaust unit. There are special replaceable filters (not cheap, but worth it) I get from Lowe’s.

IMG_7014.thumb.jpeg.4ab99cdcd7d781bf3cfcc9458dd0da4f.jpegYes, it’s a big booth, but I do truck and ship models, so I need them to fit.

This looks way simpler than I had envisioned.  Thanks for posting pictures.  Now I have a pretty clear idea of what I want to do.

Nice booth you have there!  That looks pretty cool.  Lots of space.  I just ordered a 22” double fan booth from Amazon.  It’ll be big enough for most of my needs I think.

• Thanks 1

The hood’s built-in lights are a plus, and there’s three settings for the fan speed. On high, it exhausts everything out while I’m spraying, then I turn it to low for a bit while the parts are drying. No fumes in the rest of the basement or house.

Before this, even if I sprayed for two seconds, I’d hear a voice yell down from above (not heaven, but from the one upstairs that must be obeyed) telling me to stop stinking up the house!

Edited by vincen47
  • Haha 5

make sure you paint the out side of the plywood with a good water proof paint to keep it weather proof..plywood will rot. i used plexiglass on mine..

SAM_3047 (2).JPG

Edited by yh70
  • Like 1

If you are in a cold climate, a pc of pink rigid foam works well. Cut it just a bit oversize for the window opening and it will wedge in nicely while still cutting down the draft of cold air.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, shoeman said:

How do you like that booth?  I'm on the hunt for one now.  And I see guitar stands.  

I haven’t had a chance to use the booth yet.  Been busy with spring cleaning.  But I’m hoping to give it a shot over the next couple of weeks.  There’s a really good review on YouTube by Barbados Rex for it.  He recommends it pretty highly.  Check it out.👍

Good eye spotting the guitar stands!  What’s less noticeable is the 2x12 Marshall cab at the right that the power strip is sitting on.😁

• Haha 1