Model Cars Magazine Forum

Repurposing daily wear contact lens containers for paint mixing

Nothing groundbreaking here, and it's likely been brought up before, but someone might find it useful.

Most of the time if I need paint,  I'll put it on some flat scrap of whatever I might have on my desk; a post it note usually.  

That doesn't always work well when thinning something down though, so for that I had been using water bottle caps.  Well, recently we stopped buying bottled water and I quickly found myself out of "mixing canisters".

So, while taking out the bathroom trash I had an "ah ha" moment when I happened to notice a few of my wife's discarded daily contact lens packages in it.  They work great for a quick little mix or dilution, and thanks to her poor vision, two of these little guys show up on my sink each morning now.  Well, as long as she doesn't wear glasses that day.

CLPaintTrays.jpg.bc9e971d2891a5b5b4b075b6c19aaea9.jpg

Good tip!!  :)  I use soda bottle caps for paint mixing.  Found way back when that the old Evian water bottle caps will snap onto the lid of a soda bottle and can store paint for a long time.  I saved a bunch before they switched caps.  

I was constantly looking for something just like this, but really cheap, for mixing up paint, glue, epoxy…any kind of liquid I’d use at my bench.

Picked up some tattoo artist’s mixing cups - they’re REALLY cheap, come in a few different sizes and you can pick up handy dandy little stands or racks to hold them if you need such a thing:

https://a.co/d/6TBLJdD

I’ve been using contact containers for several years. They’re also great for dropping a dab of glue so you can apply a tiny amount with a needle. I’ve also found that glue and most paints won’t stick to the plastic. One it dries, you can pop it out with a fingernail.

Ben

I agree, I've been using the contact lens containers for the same applications, paints, glue etc -- great way to repurpose something that you may just discard! Glad you posted this.