Model Cars Magazine Forum

From 1:1 scale gone to being in model form only.

Rats. I sold off all my NOS Hilborn mechanical stuff back around 2001, figuring I'd never need it. Probably never will, but it saddens me to know production is over.

Still, an enterprising young man can just as easily tool up and cast the parts today as Hilborn himself did in the way-way-back.

Oh wait...this is 2024. There's probably no phone app for "casting aluminum".  :mellow:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Now the fun of listing the kits that have Hilborn injectors:

AMT

Chevy II wagon

53 Ford pick-up

Dual dragster kit

Mustang funny car

greg

MPC and Accurate Miniatures McLaren Can Am cars.

One have to keep in mind that Hilborn wasn't alone doing 8 stack fuel injections, Kinsler, Lucas, Algon, Crower, Enderle, Doug Nash are a few who did 8 stack fuel injections and I have most likely forgotten some.

Edited by Force

On 2/27/2024 at 3:22 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Rats. I sold off all my NOS Hilborn mechanical stuff back around 2001, figuring I'd never need it. Probably never will, but it saddens me to know production is over.

Still, an enterprising young man can just as easily tool up and cast the parts today as Hilborn himself did in the way-way-back.

Oh wait...this is 2024. There's probably no phone app for "casting aluminum".  :mellow:

there are 3d printers for making wax molds to cast from. I've been trying to see if the local jewellery factory will try making me some wheel rims since ali has a lower melting temp than the metals they use. They have one of the wax printers but they haven't given me a price yet. If they do give me a reasonable price i have an engine i'd like to try

8 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

there are 3d printers for making wax molds to cast from. I've been trying to see if the local jewellery factory will try making me some wheel rims since ali has a lower melting temp than the metals they use. They have one of the wax printers but they haven't given me a price yet. If they do give me a reasonable price i have an engine i'd like to try

Good info, definitely of potential use to modelers.

I was talking about 1:1 though, where patterns were traditionally carved from wood, and from which the production sand-molds were produced.

There are still "art" foundries that can make sand molds from wooden or polyester or wax patterns, and there are still a few industrial foundries capable of doing an entire project, but nothing like the numbers back in the post-war era when Hilborn and Halibrand and Edelbrock et al were getting started.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy