Model Cars Magazine Forum

A study in structural bondo...

...or why you should have a vehicle checked out BEFORE you buy it.

I've seen literally hundreds like this over the past 50 years, so it's nothing new, but potential buyers of "classics" still need to be reminded that all that glitters isn't actually gold.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Old trick was to bring a small magnet when checking out a used car. You'd take the magnet and run it along the doors, fenders, quarters, etc. If the magnet didn't stick, in areas, that was a sign of bondo/leadwork covering some nasty holes.

• Like 2

I just LUV Uncle Tony!!! Been watching his videos for years. Don't think I've ever met anyone who had a deeper knowledge of MOPAR parts and products.

This video perfectly explains the reason that whenever I go look at a car, I carry one of those newfangled meters that tells ya paint thickness and if bondo is behind the pretty color. Saved my bacon more than once!! 

For more entertainment, there's a guy on YT who does collision repairs.  He does videos on vehicles he finds at the insurance auctions.  Apparently there are a few "flippers" out there buying totalled vehicles, roughing them in to make them look "less damaged", then running them through another auction closer to where they are.  This guy goes over the vehicle, then finds the original auction with more damage to analyze the worthless "repairs".  Replacement panels (often just less damaged ones in the same color) held in with drywall screws or zip ties (as the mounting holes don't line up), deployed curtain airbags cut away to make them appear as if they are still in place, roofs pushed back up to look less damaged, the list goes on.

• Like 2

Living a lesson learned. My Pinto is not quite as bad as this Cougar, but I am coming across more issues. Right now, other than a fuel issue, I am having some 'paranormal' problems with my headlights and underdash wiring. Largest problem is still trying to locate a good windshield. I believe it was cracked in transit, but the guy that delivered it said it was that way when he picked it up. Conversation with the auction company denies it - he said, they said; and I have to pay for it, if I can find one. Thoughts now are to set aside an amount of money to have someone go through it completely, refurbish the interior, refresh the drivetrain, update the braking/suspension and simply accept the fact I bought a lemon.

12 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Living a lesson learned...and simply accept the fact I bought a lemon.

If it's still structurally sound and isn't a total rot-bucket like the poor old Cougar in the vid, it's worth doing a little at a time to get it back up to spec.

Over the years I've tried to counsel clients that it's much better to buy a car that needs an engine or gearbox overhaul or has electrical problems or just needs paint than one that has rust issues, but they usually don't listen...especially if it's shiny.

Pinto windshields are available new for around $300, but I don't know which ones have fit problems...and a lot of aftermarket "offshore" glas doesn't fit at all.

We have a glass guy who's a wizard, and I'll ask him if you want me to.

Far as electrical stuff goes, the little Pinto has a very simple electrical system compared to anything built much later, so getting that sorted shouldn't be expensive...assuming you have a competent 12V DC guy, and that a bunch of chimps haven't been in it previously.

De-chimping is ALWAYS more expensive than a straight repair.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

De-chimping is ALWAYS more expensive than a straight repair.

They have already been busy at work. Whoever owned it before me has installed a set of the trio gauges everybody bought from J.C. Whitney and a column mounted tach. I have pulled about ten feet of speaker-type wire from under the dash. It is still attached to something, the car still has the Ford AM radio, so I am not sure what they were trying to do.

I would greatly appreciate if you can find me a windshield. I have tried six different on-line companies and all have come back with a negative reply.  The windshield must fit a '79-80 model, because when Ford restyled the Pinto from the Maverick look to the Fox body look they increased the width of the windshield somewhere between 1.5-2 inches.

Like the old saying, "Buyer Beware." especially at an auction where you have little to no option for inspection. Go back and start rewatching around frame #220. They are talking about the GM style of covering the wiring and the general unkept look under the hood. They never mentioned it, but the first thing I noticed was the paint peeling on the right front fender where it attaches to the inner fender. Looks like they didn't even do any paint prep in that area. When you see things like that you better start looking since I have found that is an indication that someone was short cutting the very first thing you notice on a car, the paint. Usually if that has been done you can count that there will be many other far deeper problems with the car. 

• Like 1

I could only watch 13 of the first 23 minutes. Poor Cougar. I can just imagine an owner of such a thing allowing a son to take it out for a drive, who calls in 10 minutes later to say "Dad, I did a Dukes of Hazard style jump over the railroad tracks - just a little jump! - and, well .... the car broke into maybe 16 or more pieces ........"

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Living a lesson learned. My Pinto is not quite as bad as this Cougar, but I am coming across more issues. Right now, other than a fuel issue, I am having some 'paranormal' problems with my headlights and underdash wiring. Largest problem is still trying to locate a good windshield. I believe it was cracked in transit, but the guy that delivered it said it was that way when he picked it up. Conversation with the auction company denies it - he said, they said; and I have to pay for it, if I can find one. Thoughts now are to set aside an amount of money to have someone go through it completely, refurbish the interior, refresh the drivetrain, update the braking/suspension and simply accept the fact I bought a lemon.

I may have a windshield but am in Ohio.

20 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I would greatly appreciate if you can find me a windshield. I have tried six different on-line companies and all have come back with a negative reply.  The windshield must fit a '79-80 model, because when Ford restyled the Pinto from the Maverick look to the Fox body look they increased the width of the windshield somewhere between 1.5-2 inches.

I'll get in touch with our glass guy. I've been watching him work over at least 10 years, and he knows his stuff. He cuts and fits laminated glass for top-chops, does a lot of classics, rods, and customs, and is often called in to re-do late-model jobs the chain glass shops have bodged. If anyone can get the straight info on availability of a windshield for your car, he can.

PS: After driving my '89 GMC for years with a broken windshield because all I saw in the glass business were hacker chimps, I had Mark put a new tinted/shaded one in it 3 years back. Perfect fit, no leaks, no damage to anything else.