Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop: WIP

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Nice color' I have a very close color in Krylon short cuts and it’s a Satin..

The short cuts paint goes on very nicely. Yea, they have a few nice '50's colors but in satin, but their clear fixes that. 

18 hours ago, Sledsel said:

David, no, that is not my car it just showed the quarter fade the best. Here is a scanned pic of my car. Right now it is partially disassembled because it got fresh paint.

IMG_0003.jpg

Your car looks just as nice as the other one Andy, I love the side pipes!

Your car is actually closer to the color I ended up choosing, Tamiya TS-107 Cobalt Green.

15 hours ago, Sledsel said:

David, regarding your color comment on the first pic I posted, I knew there was something close available that you were shooting towards. Here it is, Ocean Mist green Rust-oleum.

image.png.572cc1c36654677c784e60d4651db25c.png

I love Rustoleum colors but I don't always have the best of luck with their paints. I'm probably just used to Tamiya's spray cans, which are designed for painting models. Rustoleum is designed more for painting lawn furniture and sprays accordingly. I often have a difficult time adjusting to the differences between the two.

One more question Andy.

On 3/13/2024 at 7:14 AM, Sledsel said:

And do not be afraid to glue the front valance to the lower front fender, that is attached on a 1:1. Argent silver is factory correct for the valance also.

Were you referring to the splash guard between the body and the front bumper? 

And if so, is the rear one also argent silver or body color?

Thanks again Andy for all the pointers you're providing,

David G.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody!

Just a quick update on the '57.

I've been working on the body prep concurrently with the chassis. With that nearly complete I decided to reward myself with a quick color check by masking and shooting the doors with the primary body color, Tamiya TS-107 Cobalt Green.

57_Ford_12.jpg.6400b83ad2724d9961f3bc84296a923d.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, David G. said:

Your car looks just as nice as the other one Andy, I love the side pipes!

Your car is actually closer to the color I ended up choosing, Tamiya TS-107 Cobalt Green.

I love Rustoleum colors but I don't always have the best of luck with their paints. I'm probably just used to Tamiya's spray cans, which are designed for painting models. Rustoleum is designed more for painting lawn furniture and sprays accordingly. I often have a difficult time adjusting to the differences between the two.

One more question Andy.

Were you referring to the splash guard between the body and the front bumper? 

And if so, is the rear one also argent silver or body color?

Thanks again Andy for all the pointers you're providing,

David G.

Rustoleum usually sprays really good for me, but recently a '59 I am working on I cannot get a smooth finish. I may get another can to try because I did a different color on a Mustang and came out perfect.

Yes, the splash guard between the body and bumper. The rear one is black.

10272598_10203899706707056_4271011118798953737_o.jpg

Edited by Sledsel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sledsel said:

Rustoleum usually sprays really good for me, but recently a '59 I am working on I cannot get a smooth finish. I may get another can to try because I did a different color on a Mustang and came out perfect.

Yes, the splash guard between the body and bumper. The rear one is black.

10272598_10203899706707056_4271011118798953737_o.jpg

Good to know, thanks. Without the tips you provided I would have painted both the splash guards the same color as the body.

Speaking of body colors, the main color on your '57 looks similar to Tamiya's Cobalt Green.  Maybe a little more pine green.

Cool photo BTW.

Thanks again Andy.

David G.

1 hour ago, bill-e-boy said:

Just sussed out why 57 Fords had such a nose down attitude - that motor is so heavy. So heavy it is known as a boat anchor down these ways

This has a nose down attitude? I didn't think so 😁. I just think adding rake to these fords is the popular thing to do and had nothing to do with those Y blocks which weight similar to the SBC of that time. And I wouldn't consider this a boat anchor. Boat anchors are what came in full sized 70s american cars. Which usually had big blocks that made the HP of a 60s small block.

Screenshot_20240315_132028_Google.jpg.a3adafb374bcbfdc93d6bea46db0361c.jpg

Edited by FoMoCo66
  • Like 1

Far too many Ford owners would use a tire tool inserted into the rear leaf spring shackles and push the spring end down and the shackle would "flip" so that they were pointed down instead of up. This would raise the rear suspension just enough to give you about a two-inch lift and could also offset any sagging of the rear leaf springs. Don't ask me how I know, just know it did work and was not an uncommon thing to do. As for the Ford Y-Block engine. Properly maintained and modified in the same manner as a small block Chevy provided very similar results and would catch more than a few off guard if they thought the Ford would be easy prey. 

30 minutes ago, espo said:

As for the Ford Y-Block engine. Properly maintained and modified in the same manner as a small block Chevy provided very similar results and would catch more than a few off guard if they thought the Ford would be easy prey.

Y blocks are good little engines, better than the earlier flathead, and not as good as the later windsor.

Anyway man that color looks so smooth. I like the teal on these generation fords.

On 3/15/2024 at 1:14 PM, Sledsel said:

My car is Cumberland Green (dark) and Willow Green (light) As an FYI, all Fords and Mercury's painted their valances and front filler panels Argent Silver from '51 thru the 70's. 

22763157-1951-ford-deluxe-std.jpg

11857569-1962-ford-galaxie-500-xl-std.jpg

5288828-1968-ford-galaxie-500-std-c.jpg

IMG_6320-copy.jpg

Not all of them, Mustang and Torino were body color.

1968 Ford Fairlane 500

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LennyB said:

Not all of them, Mustang and Torino were body color.

1968 Ford Fairlane 500

Same with 66-70 ford falcons.

16476046-1967-ford-falcon-thumb.jpg.dbd51a1f500e65d14ca00e7950589bc9.jpg

So it probably means not all FoMoCo cars had there front fillerbpans painted silver.

11 minutes ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Same with 66-70 ford falcons.

16476046-1967-ford-falcon-thumb.jpg.dbd51a1f500e65d14ca00e7950589bc9.jpg

So it probably means not all FoMoCo cars had there front fillerbpans painted silver.

I don't know what the deciding factor was, it certainly wasn't year as the Maverick was silver and that's later then the Falcon, Fairlane, etc...

On 3/15/2024 at 8:04 AM, David G. said:

Hello Everybody!

Just a quick update on the '57.

I've been working on the body prep concurrently with the chassis. With that nearly complete I decided to reward myself with a quick color check by masking and shooting the doors with the primary body color, Tamiya TS-107 Cobalt Green.

57_Ford_12.jpg.6400b83ad2724d9961f3bc84296a923d.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Color looks great David, I like that shad of green!

Hello Everybody!

It's time to rejoin our original broadcast, already in progress. :D

I actually think it's cool when threads start to take on a life of their own.

With the chassis nearly complete it's time to start on the interior. Here I'm laying out the basic color scheme. The seats will make use of the Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green that I originally bought for the body. The seat inserts will be AS-29 Gray/Green as will the carpet.  In addition to those colors, the two main body colors (Tamiya TS-102 Cobalt Green and TS-7 Racing White) will be used where appropriate.

57_Ford_13.jpg.5bd146f70bc811d24b73cab039492bf7.jpg

I think this combination of colors will visually tie the interior and body quite nicely.

57_Ford_14.jpg.848daebc293ce9091e0ae130c9c0594f.jpg

That's all for this round, thanks for sticking with me on this one.

David G.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, David G. said:

I actually think it's cool when threads start to take on a life of their own.

Oh good, I was worried that we were starting to get to off topic 😅.

Those colors on the interior complement each other very well. I like all the teal’s on this car.

She is looking good. Those 2 tone interiors can be a pain (at least for me)

As mentioned above, not ALL valances were silver, the full size cars were for sure, (those are what I am most familiar with) some could or could not be like that Maverick I posted, pre 73 Mavericks and Comets were silver. Torinos, Fairlanes and Mustangs were definitely body color. Wonder who decided what should be what?

Edited by Sledsel

22 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Oh good, I was worried that we were starting to get to off topic 😅.

Those colors on the interior complement each other very well. I like all the teal’s on this car.

Thank you Ace. And no worries, I find the side conversations interesting too.

16 hours ago, Sledsel said:

She is looking good. Those 2 tone interiors can be a pain (at least for me)

As mentioned above, not ALL valances were silver, the full size cars were for sure, (those are what I am most familiar with) some could or could not be like that Maverick I posted, pre 73 Mavericks and Comets were silver. Torinos, Fairlanes and Mustangs were definitely body color. Wonder who decided what should be what?

Thank you Andy. Yes the multicolor interiors can be annoying. I'm glad that this one's not a complete tub-style, those can be maddening when it comes to masking for detail.

David G.

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Thank you Ace. And no worries, I find the side conversations interesting too.

Thank you Andy. Yes the multicolor interiors can be annoying. I'm glad that this one's not a complete tub-style, those can be maddening when it comes to masking for detail.

David G.

EXACTLY..... Working on a full tub '59 Ford and it is maddening! Looking forward to more progress. You are making me want to dig out one of my many '57's

• David G. changed the title to AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop: WIP