Model Cars Magazine Forum

Returning after a 17 year hiatus

A few weeks ago I was rummaging around in my mother in laws basement and I came across my stock pile of unbuilt models, which led me to the four completed models I had decided were work keeping all those years ago.

I bought them all home with me and unpacked them to inspect the damage. Nothing too serious (wheels, mirrors, exhausts falling off). I got to work repairing them so that I can display them in my WFH office and suddenly a fire ignited in me to dive back into the hobby head first. I had unearthed all my modeling supplied about 2 years ago when I started playing DND and starting painting minitures, but I did spend the the next few afternoons organizing my tools and paints. I had a lot of fun repairing the old models and then set them up for a little photo shoot:

spacer.png

Completed in 2006

large.2024_03.07-x100s-S2000mu-7CooperAc

Completed in 2005. First and only Fujimi kit, I ordered it from Japan on 1999.co.jp after seeing it featured in Super Street Magazine and I also ordered RE Amemiya AW-7 rims to match the magazine. 

spacer.png

Completed in 2006. First time attemping engine detail (plug wires, brake lines, Detail Master velocity stacks on the carbs). I actually won this kit after a first place finish at an RC car race in Orlando. 

spacer.png

Completed 2007. Time was not kind to the decals. I also didn't use any softening or setting solution or clear coat over the top. 

A visit to the local hobby shop was in order to replace some of the paints that were dry. In 2007 I had started a Tamiya 911 Turbo '88 and considering the simplicy of the kit I thought it would be a good idea to use it to dust off the cob webs. I'll start a new WIP thread to share those photos and progress. I'm looking forward to trying new techniques and improving the fit and finish of my future modeling. YouTube is great resource. I want to try weathering, sanding and polishing the painted bodies, and airbrushing as well. 

Edited by Apexscalpel

Welcome to the forum Kevin.  I think you will be in good company here.  You are off to a good start. Those builds are pretty good and you will only get better. Don't hesitate to ask for help.  There are more than a few of us who are only too happy to do so.  Myself included. 

• Like 1

Welcome back, I just returned to the hobby too after 20 years, similar story and also we share the same first name lol.  After watching some youtube videos it got me hooked again and decided to complete a model that I started building ages ago.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Kevin, I am relatively new here as well. 

Though it's not really a return to modeling for me, more like just getting started after a 30+ year hiatus from the one and only model I ever built as a 12 year old.

This group has been very helpful to me, so I think you will like it here. 

• Like 1