Model Cars Magazine Forum

2024 Detroit Autorama Ridler winner

His cars look like $11 DUBs. He makes the fundamental mistake of putting the wheels too far under the car. It makes it look like the body doesn't belong on that particular chassis. He does nice paint and surfacing though. Overall I'm not a big fan of his work.

Edited by Chinacar
typo
  • Like 3

I general I like Kindig design cars. Not everything about every car but in general I feel his designs look at least as good and often better than the original.

There are a few specific things I like about Kindig designs:

* He designs have cohesiveness, At Motorama I noticed the central speedo bezel on his Ridler Vette had a slight teardrop shape that reflected the shape of the roof taper and the rear license plate enclosure had slightly angled sides that lined up perfectly with the roof taper when viewed straight on from the rear.

* His designs use chrome correctly, as a trim.  I feel he has a good sense of how much to use and where to use it. The flush fit windshield trim of the Ridler Vette is amazing.

* His designs incorporate some very challenging changes to achieve a subtle affect. I currently have a 67 Belvedere 2drHT. The odd tilt of the roof line in relation to the body is a strange quirk of these 66-67 B-bodies that was caused by Mopar’s desire to use the same door glass in all 2drHT’s (the roof line tilt is for the Charger’s fastback). Kindig’s 67 Coronet build goes to some effort to correct the roof tilt, It is subtle but makes the car look much better.

• Like 3

If I had the funds, Kindig is the shop I'd send my car to.

Although, every time I see a new build on the show, I just know what's coming.

Step 1: Roadster Shop chassis

Step 2: LS4. Or a Hellcat/Demon engine.

But the results are always amazing. One of his VW builds is somewhat local. I've seen it at shows, and the build quality is astounding.

Interesting design elements, appears to be great quality, nice profile (the car), hate the wheels and the offset. 

But there's certainly enough other cool stuff there to rate a Riddler win.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 1:24 PM, Chinacar said:

His cars look like $11 DUBs. He makes the fundamental mistake of putting the wheels too far under the car. It makes it look like the body doesn't belong on that particular chassis. He does nice paint and surfacing though. Overall I'm not a big fan of his work.

I guess looking at the 8 finalists it was probably the one that should have one. The other Vette had a better stance but there was something goofy with the side scallop that I didn't quite understand. It was a different toned red or maybe a weird surface change. And overall not seeing the other interiors Kingdik did a decent job on the inside, except for the square steering wheel in front of a round instrument cluster...;-) 

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 19.58.14.png

3 hours ago, deuces wild said:

I was hoping for one of the cars from down stairs would have won it.... Oh, well...😖🙁

I was partial to these two sitting next to each other downstairs :) 

Resized952024030195125545951710335164346.jpg

Resized952024030195125639951710335185372.jpg

Resized952024030195130620951710335181731.jpg

• Like 1