Model Cars Magazine Forum

Speed City Resin

Someone recently posted a model with a really cool looking drag racing driver from Speed City Resin. I ordered one and the next day my money was refunded because the driver is out of stock.

I guess I don't understand how this works. I've had this happen with other resin casters where they ran out of an item and there will be no more. Wouldn't you want to make more because they're selling?

4 hours ago, TonyK said:

Someone recently posted a model with a really cool looking drag racing driver from Speed City Resin. I ordered one and the next day my money was refunded because the driver is out of stock.

I guess I don't understand how this works. I've had this happen with other resin casters where they ran out of an item and there will be no more. Wouldn't you want to make more because they're selling?

Sometimes its the mold. If the mold has had too many castings done on it its not viable anymore. The caster has to remake the mold and that takes time & effort, and a lot of them are just too busy to remake molds. Just one possibility.

• Like 1

My understanding is that as stated the molds are worn out  and need attention.  Speed City Resin isn't the main source of income for the owner so it's a part time thing and life tends to have priorities. He has some great products that unfortunately aren't available right now, there are a few that I would order if they were.  I would keep checking back on the website to see if anything changes in the future.

• Like 2

One other thing:  Scott, the proprietor of Speed City, creates the masters and molds for his products but does not cast them himself.  He has had trouble finding reliable, competent casters to help make his products.

Giving the OP in this thread a full refund on his order says a lot about Scott's integrity.

Edited by sfhess
  • Like 1

You don't mention what the driver figure looked like, but another place to get driver figures is Competition Resin, I see 2 listed under their 1/24-1/25th scale section.

https://ecsvr.com/cpr/shopexd.asp?id=382

https://ecsvr.com/cpr/shopexd.asp?id=216

I tried looking to see if someone has done something like the resin figures in a 3D file, but I've only been able to find modern drivers or vintage road racer figures.  I'm still checking out some other 3D suppliers that I know of.

Steve A.

12 hours ago, sfhess said:

Giving the OP in this thread a full refund on his order says a lot about Scott's integrity.

Yes, he informed me of the refund the very next day and said he was sorry it ran out of stock.

On 3/15/2024 at 6:32 AM, TonyK said:

I may have been the guy who posted that model? In any case, I've been greatly impressed with Scott's customer service (as well as his parts) over the years - he usually keeps his website up to date as far as what's in stock, but I'm sure things can slip through. I've occasionally had to wait for items to get back in stock, but he has emailed me when I let him know that I was interested in buying an item. 

Have had several dealings with Speed City. First went perfect, second one went to site and said out of stock sent an e-mail saying i was interested when they came back, about a month later an email came back asking if I was still Interested, I was and ordered the car body, very pleased the way it went down