Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black interior, restoring lost detail

I'm not a fan of black interiors but sometimes it can't be helped for accuracy if that's a concern, any good ways to restore some of that detail? I was thinking a medium or dark gray panel line accent like the Tamiya black? Any better options?

I'll typically use several different blacks. 

Semi-gloss, flat/matte, gloss.

Sometimes mix a touch of grey into the blacks for slightly different tones.

It's all black, but you get some differentiation on the parts and see some detail.

• Like 4

Dry brushing some very dark grey over all the raised detail should give you a subtle effect by leaving the black in all the creases. If both the paints are matt finish and you are looking for a leather or vinyl look, when they are dry run the end of your finger across your forehead. Then gently rub the skin oil secretion onto the painted surfaces to impart a sheen.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Dry brushing some very dark grey over all the raised detail should give you a subtle effect by leaving the black in all the creases. If both the paints are matt finish and you are looking for a leather or vinyl look, when they are dry run the end of your finger across your forehead. Then gently rub the skin oil secretion onto the painted surfaces to impart a sheen.

Yes. I use face slime on matte-finish paint to impart a new leather or vinyl look. For larger scale kits, you may need to borrow some slime from your (in)significant other.

• Haha 1

Black interiors are tough to get right. Some of the best black interiors I’ve seen are from Mustang1989 (Joe) on this forum. Check out some of his WIP’s. As mentioned above there are many different shades of black. I’m currently doing a black interior and using, flat black, semi gloss black, and nato black, as well as black embossing powder for carpet.