Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 3/17/2024 at 9:34 PM, dragstk said:

Microscale's Micro Set says it is a decal remover. Never tried to use it that way, but maybe?

Yes, decals can be removed using various methods, but the OP asked specifically "without destroying them".

I used micro set or sol (can't remember) on my johan 71 cuda glue bomb. You put it on top of the decal, let it set, dry it off, put masking tape or scotch tape over the decals and peal (it should come off). 

5 minutes ago, Beans said:

Is the purpose of the question to determine how to remove them whole and re-use them?

I don't see any way they can be removed then re-used.  

Exactly.  While it was not specifically mentioned in the initial post I could only assume that the reason for removing "without destroying them" for re-using.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Exactly.  While it was not specifically mentioned in the initial post I could only assume that the reason for removing "without destroying them" for re-using.

Ah well don't use the method I mentioned if you want to save them.

Micro Set is what you want. Micro Sol will just melt them more onto your model. I’ve had some luck gently removing decals with Set, but it takes time, patience, and luck. I keep the decal wet and very gently use a brush as a sort of chisel, slowly working the tips of the bristles under the decal. Work your way around the perimeter of the decal until you find a corner that starts to lift and go from there. Eventually, you can get the decal floated off of the model. This doesn’t always work; sometimes the decal is too brittle or stuck down too well.

Ben

• Like 1

I just had a damaged decal over a matte clear... it does not want to come off and I don't have a setting solution. I tried scotch tape, only worked a bit. I really do not want to risk messing up the paint... what to do? Slap a larger STP decal over it...