Model Cars Magazine Forum

MARX TIN GAS STATION

This is going out to everyone who was a kid in the late ‘50’s/early ‘60’s.......I had a tin Marx Service Station, the one with the inside ramp and “parking” on the roof. Bring out my Matchbox cars and that thing would keep this drooling kid occupied for hours! Anyway, I go away to college, and by then my Service Station was packed away in the basement. You guessed it.....in a cleaning frenzy, Pop threw it out (along with my H.O. Trains, a slew of 1:1 ‘55 Chevy parts and a primo 1949 Merc sun visor). A day that will live in infamy!

Anyway, just want to know if you also had the pleasure of a Marx garage. Time marches on, so whatever happened to it?

7 hours ago, CaddyDaddy said:

Anyway, I go away to college, and by then my Service Station was packed away in the basement. You guessed it.....in a cleaning frenzy, Pop threw it out (along with my H.O. Trains, a slew of 1:1 ‘55 Chevy parts and a primo 1949 Merc sun visor). A day that will live in infamy!

Never had the Marx garage, but I did have a significant other who disposed of a running BMW 700 coupe, a perfectly good '60 Corvair 4-dr with a trunk full of packaged AMP electrical connectors, and an early Karmann Ghia, all for scrap prices, and who couldn't be bothered paying the $25 monthly to keep my storage unit full of vintage 1:1 Porsche, VW, and Corvair parts, large tools including a Sun distributor machine, car mags, and boxes and boxes of model car stuff...even though I was sending her money to keep everything together for me. When I came back from overseas and tried to get straight answers from her...well, let's just say that was the end of the relationship.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

When I came back from overseas and tried to get straight answers from her...well, let's just say that was the end of the relationship.

Similar incident. While stationed in Thailand I spent several hours in our sound room hobby shop cassette taping music. Had four cases 24 each of BASF (primo at the time) 90 minute tapes. Sent them to my wife. In the meantime she was enjoying the affections of someone else and they recorded over some of them and the others just disappeared. When I got back home I found maybe a dozen tapes. Still have them and many of them still play.

• Like 1

I had one and my grandma said I was too old for it and a lot of other stuff gave it to my cousins while I was away with a neighbor to the Winter Nationals.

A year or so later was out to my aunts with grandpa squirrel hunting and it was down by a brush pile smashed up and rusty.

She also gave them my Matt aDillon six shooter and holster, Wanted Dead Or Alive Rifle and Red Ryder BB gun.

Like everything of ours the got, they destroyed them.

It’s funny you posted this, as I was thinking, just the other day, about the tin garage I once had. 

Not totally sure if I had a Marx Garage when I was young, but I did get a tin garage from Santa Clause. Can’t remember what year, but I was probably 7 years old. 

I found a couple of pics of the tin one I had. 

IMG_8568.jpeg

IMG_8567.jpeg

• Like 1

I didn't have the gas station, but I did get an old Marx Cape Canaveral Missile Base set as a gift from a family friend. I spent many hours messing around with it, launching the missiles etc. Hadn't thought about that set in years until I saw this thread. No clue what happened to it but would love to find another one! It's ironic as I work in the spaceflight industry at Cape Canaveral now. 

Not my set, but a photo I found.

vZKpm01UJKVMZIfdhYK9Fg.jpeg