Model Cars Magazine Forum

METALLICA-R: a Johan glue-bomb 1970 Hornet body turned into a Metal band's fantasy ProMod dragstrip billboard

Wonderful!  Congratulations! CT, you're a fine modeler, but also a real car guy. Your input allows us modelers an insight to the real cars we love to model. We can all be grateful that fellows, whom offer knowledge as well as real life thoughts, as yourself are also winners!  Be proud!  Thank you, CT!

6 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

I was honored yesterday to receive !st place Competiton cars and Host Club's favorite awards at RAM North-East in Drummondville, Québec. A great show. Thanks to all fellow modelers and judges! 

Rock 'n Roll!

CT

Congratulations!

On 3/26/2024 at 9:50 AM, Steve H said:

Super cool build Claude. You actually managed to make the Hornet look racey!  That paint effect is quite striking, and adds even more interest to an already unusual subject. The engine details are impressive, that’s a lot of motor stuffed in there. Another beauty from the house of Claude. 

Thanks Steve! 

I attended a model show this last weekend, and I saw many JOHAN kits for sale, which is quite unusual. The prices are way above inflation: your latest Eldo, in the 1970 variation, was offered at 150$. Bought one at the same show 5 years ago fo 60$. Goes to show. The most expensive of the lot were a 69 AMC The Machine, and a 68 Chrysler 300C coupe, at 250$ each. 

They are certainly on the list of endangered species....

CT

On 3/27/2024 at 12:38 PM, Mike Williams said:

Hello CT!  Finally back again, very pleasing to view your wrecked and bashed model, truly a view to behold! I believe, the best models, as well as real cars, only need some fine, TLC. You've shown us the way. Excellent attention to detail, utterly believable. Compliments!  Mike..

Hi Mike!

thank you so much. To your point, come to think of it, some of my most awarded models at shows started as "Ziplock basket cases" found in the bargains bins.

Go figure!?! LOL

CT

On 3/30/2024 at 2:31 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Nice work, Claude! You should try to get some photos to them. James, at least, would likely think it's cool. "Paint by Max". Webster?!😁 That's a nice distinction, too--closing one arena, and opening another with consecutive shows. I never knew that.

Hi Daniel!

Thank you. I was in rock FM radio most of the 80's, and my station had some "meet and greet" with the band and winning listeners, so I suppose my friends in the record biz could arrange for me to have the Hornet autographed should the band come back in town. Who knows...

I note you know  rock music, cause Max Webster was a great Canadian rock band back then. I was friend with Kim Mitchel, the guitarist and singer in that same era. He even gave me a Gold record dedicated to me, that hangs in my model area. Nostalgia...

"Paint by Max" refers to the way i signed my custom paint jobs starting in the late 60's, on 1/1 bikes, cars, and... custom vans! It took less space than "Paint by Claude Thibodeau" would have! LOL. 

CT 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Daniel!

Thank you. I was in rock FM radio most of the 80's, and my station had some "meet and greet" with the band and winning listeners, so I suppose my friends in the record biz could arrange for me to have the Hornet autographed should the band come back in town. Who knows...

I note you know  rock music, cause Max Webster was a great Canadian rock band back then. I was friend with Kim Mitchel, the guitarist and singer in that same era. He even gave me a Gold record dedicated to me, that hangs in my model area. Nostalgia...

"Paint by Max" refers to the way i signed my custom paint jobs starting in the late 60's, on 1/1 bikes, cars, and... custom vans! It took less space than "Paint by Claude Thibodeau" would have! LOL. 

CT 

That would be cool, if it happened!

Max Webster is one of my favorite bands, ever! Kim Mitchell is a criminally underrated guitar player, I think. I've always heard that he's a great guy, too. 

"Paint by Max" definitely would be easier to sign!

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

That would be cool, if it happened!

Max Webster is one of my favorite bands, ever! Kim Mitchell is a criminally underrated guitar player, I think. I've always heard that he's a great guy, too. 

"Paint by Max" definitely would be easier to sign!

Hi!

Kim was happy to refer to himself, in french, as "la grande bizoune". I suspect her learned that while touring across Québec. Litterally, it means " The long dick". He loved the reaction that generated with concergoers... 

CT

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2024 at 9:36 PM, Nitro330 said:

Wow Claude this is super cool!  It's not just different, it's different done extemely well.  Not easy to make a Hornet look badass!  And it combines two of my favorite things, music and drag racing.  In the early 2000's Kurt Johnson, Tony Pedregon and Doug Kalitta all ran a KISS 30th  Anniversary themed paint scheme.  I think Metallica is a perfect choice for a drag car.   Also, I have heard that Revell Spray Chrome is nice, but this is the first time I am seeing it and it looks awesome. 

Hi Terry!

Thank you for the comments. I did not know that about Kiss. So, I guess I wasn't so far off when I tought about this paint scheme. Who would have tought? LOL.

CT

On 4/5/2024 at 12:19 PM, Speedpro said:

Came out nice. That sportsman chassis works well under that body. Well done!

Thank you Paul!

Indeed, but I had to stretch it in front of the firewall, shorten  the rear floor section, and narrow the floor pan at the door sills. Came out fine.

CT

On 4/14/2024 at 7:08 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

I did not know that about Kiss. So, I guess I wasn't so far off when I tought about this paint scheme. Who would have tought? LOL.

I think it was Cruz Pedregon who had Ratt on his car, at one time. NHRA had Stephen Pearcy's band doing intros, for a while, on their TV coverage. Capps is a hard rock guy, too. He hangs out with Dave Meniketti (Y&T), fairly regularly.

On 4/8/2024 at 11:21 AM, Mike Williams said:

Wonderful!  Congratulations! CT, you're a fine modeler, but also a real car guy. Your input allows us modelers an insight to the real cars we love to model. We can all be grateful that fellows, whom offer knowledge as well as real life thoughts, as yourself are also winners!  Be proud!  Thank you, CT!

Hi Mike!

Thanks for the good words, much appreciated. To your point: I DO build 1/1 cars, mostly street rods and pro-touring cars, but making and assembling the same in scale is sometimes much more tedious. I'm getting older by the day...

So much styrene, so little time!

CT