Model Cars Magazine Forum

METALLICA-R: a Johan glue-bomb 1970 Hornet body turned into a Metal band's fantasy ProMod dragstrip billboard

Hi!

In september of 2015, super band Metallica made rock history in Quebec city: they performed the last concert in the old Coliseum, and the following night, the very first concert in a new venue: Centre Videotron. That event was even included in the plot of Showtime's BILLION series. 

I was completing the construction of this Pro Mod, heavily scratchbuilt from a glue-bomb AMC 1970 Hornet body, mashed with Revell's Jukebox 56 Ford, and I could not come up with a satisfactory paint scheme that would make the car (very squarish and boxy) look somehow "racy".

Then, I figured I might as well create something unusual. I remembered the Superman movie franchise was advertised on some prostock racecar a few years ago, and I figured Metallica might choose to promote its historic event all over the eastern seaboard with a car of its own! James Hetfield is a certified car nut, so...

Take a rejuvenated Johan 70 Hornet body, cut at the cowl, with scratchbuilt: air dam, rear wing, dash, windows, air intake, blower containment system, gas tank, parachute pack, battery box, magneto, brakes and hoses, fuel lines, etc. The 56 Ford chassis was extended 8 mm. Tamya's pearl white and italian red + acrylic red marble effect + home-made decals + Mr Hobby's Top coat clear, fully polished. Revell's spray chrome on chassis tin, rear wing and air horn & ancilary stuff. 

Hours of fun with styrene. Rock on! 

CT 

DSC02060.JPG

DSC02062.JPG

DSC02064.JPG

DSC02043.JPG

DSC02032.JPG

DSC02035.JPG

DSC02046.JPG

DSC02050.JPG

DSC02052.JPG

DSC02054.JPG

DSC02059.JPG

DSC02058.JPG

DSC02063.JPG

• Like 5

That’s a cool concept, and I’m really impressed by the finish on the tin work with the revell spray chrome. I sure wish it wasn’t so expensive. All is well done that’s a pretty neat paint scheme . Very well executed.

Nice job Claude!  Drag Racing is not a section where we usually find you but this build makes sense on several points even if it is fictitious.

Knowing your love for AMC cars, the fact that you were a great FM radio host and the love of Quebecers for Metallica gives meaning to this!

Nothing should be wasted, especially not an old Jo-han kit (or what's left of it...), I also see here in this your good conscience in not wasting anything and a good excuse to make your magic work! 👍

You never cease to impress me my friend!!!

On 3/19/2024 at 2:44 AM, Yeah Nah said:

Very creative and well executed build Claude. That frame and running gear work is truly something else.

Thank you Garry!  I must admit it fought me for a while during the planning process, but it turned out OK. 

CT

• Like 1

Super cool build Claude. You actually managed to make the Hornet look racey!  That paint effect is quite striking, and adds even more interest to an already unusual subject. The engine details are impressive, that’s a lot of motor stuffed in there. Another beauty from the house of Claude. 

Hello CT!  Finally back again, very pleasing to view your wrecked and bashed model, truly a view to behold! I believe, the best models, as well as real cars, only need some fine, TLC. You've shown us the way. Excellent attention to detail, utterly believable. Compliments!  Mike..

Nice work, Claude! You should try to get some photos to them. James, at least, would likely think it's cool. "Paint by Max". Webster?!😁 That's a nice distinction, too--closing one arena, and opening another with consecutive shows. I never knew that.

On 3/19/2024 at 10:19 PM, M W Elky said:

That’s a cool concept, and I’m really impressed by the finish on the tin work with the revell spray chrome. I sure wish it wasn’t so expensive. All is well done that’s a pretty neat paint scheme . Very well executed.

Thanks Michael!

I, too, am impressed by what can be done  with this Revell Spray chrome. It opens a wide range of opportunities for large surfaces and small accessories. 

CT

On 3/20/2024 at 11:59 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice job Claude!  Drag Racing is not a section where we usually find you but this build makes sense on several points even if it is fictitious.

Knowing your love for AMC cars, the fact that you were a great FM radio host and the love of Quebecers for Metallica gives meaning to this!

Nothing should be wasted, especially not an old Jo-han kit (or what's left of it...), I also see here in this your good conscience in not wasting anything and a good excuse to make your magic work! 👍

You never cease to impress me my friend!!!

Merci Francis!

As you said, I guess I tried to "roll all the influences into one car". Oh well... LOL. 

CT

Wow Claude this is super cool!  It's not just different, it's different done extemely well.  Not easy to make a Hornet look badass!  And it combines two of my favorite things, music and drag racing.  In the early 2000's Kurt Johnson, Tony Pedregon and Doug Kalitta all ran a KISS 30th  Anniversary themed paint scheme.  I think Metallica is a perfect choice for a drag car.   Also, I have heard that Revell Spray Chrome is nice, but this is the first time I am seeing it and it looks awesome.