Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1962 Chevy Impala SS 3'n 1.

I'm attempting to do a video series on this one on Youtube, that shows my build process from start to finish. I'll also try to put some descriptive pics here as well. I started it last week, so I'm going to try to get caught up here. We'll start with the unboxing video for those interested. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I started out in my usual way, cleaning the extra flash, which is almost non-existent. Then trimming and sanding the mold lines, again a very minimal amount. After that was deepening the panel lines which is very difficult to show in pics, so I won't, lol. All of the parts were then soaked and washed in a sink full of Dawn dishwater and scrubbed with a toothbrush. No pics on these processes, but they are touched on in the video. 

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

Posted (edited)

OK, so I'll try not to show any more videos, just pics from here on out. After the parts dried overnight, I started with the sub-assemblies like the seats/seatbacks, and the engine parts that will be the same color. After that, I removed some parts from the sprue trees to prime individually along with those left on the sprues. I then sprayed on some Stynylrez Primer. I used Black, Neutral, Gray, and White. I sprayed the body with gray to spot any imperfections or areas that might need more sanding. I then dry-sanded the body and hood with 1000 grit to smooth it out. After that, I taped off the lower portion and sprayed white primer over the upper portion.

IMG_5567.JPG

IMG_5568.JPG

IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5572.JPG

IMG_5573.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 2

I'm looking forward to seeing this one built up, it looks like quite a detailed kit. I haven't seen the kit before - is it still being made, or does it have to be purchased aftermarket?

Hello Craig! First… thanks for sharing the link to your YouTube channel for the 71 442 build of yours. Really enjoyed it, and got a few good pointers, and things to watch for. I moved the rear end forward slightly, similar to what you did. Love your builds so I will be following along for sure. The 62 Impala is one of my all time favourite cars, my dad had one back in the day , so I literally grew up in the back seat of one. Absolutely love the lines on these, especially the curved A pillars. Keep it coming!

Cheers, Steve

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2024 at 8:06 PM, Noah H. said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this one built up, it looks like quite a detailed kit. I haven't seen the kit before - is it still being made, or does it have to be purchased aftermarket?

It is a fairly new release and should be readily available at hobby shops and online hobby shops. And yes, it is a very nicely detailed kit that I highly recommend.

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:31 PM, Steve H said:

Hello Craig! First… thanks for sharing the link to your YouTube channel for the 71 442 build of yours. Really enjoyed it, and got a few good pointers, and things to watch for. I moved the rear end forward slightly, similar to what you did. Love your builds so I will be following along for sure. The 62 Impala is one of my all time favourite cars, my dad had one back in the day , so I literally grew up in the back seat of one. Absolutely love the lines on these, especially the curved A pillars. Keep it coming!

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for the views, I'm glad you got some useful info on the 442, that was a fantastic kit and I know yours is going to look excellent. I'm not normally a big fan of the older Impala's but this one has really changed my mind!

Currently have one I’m my work in progress stash, just waiting your build progress, since I don’t want to encounter any issue, since I just painted without making any test fit 😢. Great build as always!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't keep up with the progress on this one, I was so focused on the video series on it I neglected to take any progress pics. It is finished, all of the videos are up on my Youtube channel, Stumpy Grump's Scale Speed Shop, and I will have the completed pics on Under Glass tomorrow but for now here is the Reveal Video.

• Like 1