Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for a 1/24 Scale Curtiss OX-5 Engine.

I'm looking for a 1/24 or 1/25 Curtiss OX-5 Engine in order to build an Edwardian Era race car.

I assume that any I could find would be 3D printed, and I'm okay with that.

I'd also accept any other Aero Engine of that time period, in the same scales.

Many Thanks, Alan

There is a file available on the Thingiverse website that says it is a Curtis "Number 3" engine that looks like pics of the OX5.  It is listed as a 1/8th scale build, so if you were to scale it down to 1/24th-1/25th scale you are going to lose some of the fine detail that you would have to try and add back in:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4329451

I don't know if you have someone that could try 3D printing it for you.  If not I can try helping you out, but it will be a while before I can print it out.  I just had surgery on my Achilles Tendon, so I can't get out to by work area to do any printing for awhile.  I did 3D print some radial engines for Curt Raitz & John Teresi for their Radial Engine Biker Build Off that was posted on here awhile back, though those engines were 1/12th scale.

I did try printing some out at 1/24th scale for someone that contacted me for a project they had planned, and at that scale the exhaust pipes were so thin they just didn't print out.  Anyways, if I can help, just let me know.

Steve A.

I dont know much about this period of cars but did the curtis use a motorbike engine? I've seen some early cars that appear to uae the bike engines and there is a curtis bike with engine available but it appears to be an 8 pot. maybe with some faffinf about it could be cut down and rescaled to work for your project

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/glenn-curtis-4-410cc-1906

or theres a few engines  to pick from under aircraft.

https://cults3d.com/en/search?q=aircraft+engine

Edited by stitchdup

Alan, besides the good leads you already have from previous posters on this thread, try the guys in IPMS.

Being a general modelling society, they have a great many more  'wingy thingy' enthusiasts who probably have shed loads of info on aero engines. The IPMS USA forum might be worth signing up to, and you might well get lucky on there with regard to someone who can help what you are looking for.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1

It's such a primitive lump, it wouldn't be all that hard to scratch up a reasonable looking model using styrene sheet and tube. Only really tricky bits would be the exposed and complex valve gear.

Alternatively, here's one in 1/4 scale. Might wash it in really hot water and hope it shrinks. 

http://www.airbum.com/NeatShtpix/NeatShtOX-5.html

image.png.7bd5c0125fd99f21d993d012abd9ecc4.png

Seriously, the problem with early aero engines is the exposed valve gear on most. Though blueprints can be found, a lot of 3D guys don't like doing a whole lot of fiddly little parts for one engine, when they can print an American V8 in just a few.

image.png.7c0d934c795ae40edac7f57dac243efe.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The engine drawing that Bill posted will be a really good  basis to work from it you scale down the dimensions. When I made my scratch build of John Cobb's Brooklands Napier Railton, I used a drawing similar to that one of a Napier engine to scale down for my model. Once the basic shapes were made all the ancillary engine details were then added. It really is not as daunting as it looks at first. It is a matter of breaking the whole thing down into round and square shape derivatives to get the basics done.

Aero engined cars from that period are quite fascinating in their own right, and make good conversation pieces as models.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1

And, I've figured out what Chassis I'll be using.

The 1921 Oldsmobile Chassis from Granny's Hotrod. I wanted a Beefy Chassis, and my choices Are Few. The 1907 Thomas Flyer, the 1912 Stutz Bearcat, or the Olds are about all that is in Kit form, and in my stash of kits. I may test fit the Flyer Chassis, though, as the Chain Drive seems mandatory for an Aero-Engine Racer.