Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Can it be built stock?" '70 AMT Mach 1 build from the Missing Link archives

Ragtop Man

As noted by a few friends in the hobby, Round 2's release schedule has rather nicely mirrored the mid-00's catalog from Missing Link. First came the Gen 1 Mustang FB, then the HT '65 GTO, then the AMT '70 Mach 1 and '64 Chevelle SS (!) all sold out faster than we could pour. Many thanks to Steve G. for cutting steel tools for AMT so that I could re-live the early days of our enterprise, I have only a few buildable rejects in my archive. Note to future casters: save one of everything! 

Fast forward to 2023, and news of the re-release of Mach Won.... talk about a jolt!  There has been a fair amount of speculation of what this would look like built up, so I went digging in the MLRC picture crypt and found these shots.

Our resin '70 was a Xerox copy of the annual, needing only the '69-73 of your choice to finish it off. Thus, by the transitive property, this is what it looks like.  You will need an interior, a stock shaker hood and scoop which I am assuming will surface in resin fairly soon, or modify some parts from one of the squillion or so '69-70 kits already out there. You will also need a sheet of clear styrene for the windshield, cos' the current kit item has been modified to accept the supercharger inlet; can't speak to the rear louvers, but those should not be a heavy lift, either. 

Our good friend Tom Mooty knocked this out in about a week prior to the Toledo Show that year, using what IIRC was Testor's French Blue with hand masked blackout. Wheels are MPC '73 kit items, engine looks like MPC as well but can't say for 100% certain. If you have hoarded R2 Polyglas, so much the better, the wide ovals were an option too depending on which supplier and which plant your 1:1 came from. At some point in the future when all my stuff is unpacked, I'll have a Grok-A-Thon to see what newly tooled (since 2005) Mustang/Cougar bits suit the R2 Funny Car release. 

Missing Link 1970 Mach 1 Build_Tom Mooty (12).JPG

Missing Link 1970 Mach 1 Build_Tom Mooty (16).JPG

Missing Link 1970 Mach 1 Build_Tom Mooty (21).JPG

• Like 8

Very nice.  Like many I wish Round2 had included stock interior parts, glass and a chassis.  Maybe next time.  Seeing this begs the question of whatever happened to the MPC 70 Boss 302 kit molds.