Model Cars Magazine Forum

1981 Monogram Benny Parsons Squarebird

Iraceitall

It's been over 25 years since I last touched a model kit. After hours of lurking here and YouTube I jumped back in. My first build is this Monogram Thunderbird from the Legends Combo, building as Benny Parsons' #15 Bud Moore car. I'm a little rusty, but it looks OK. No major details except paint and opening up the wheels, which I did swap out with some from a Wrangler Grand Prix since I need 5-hole Welds for that build. Now time for the body, just need a little warmer and drier weather for paint...20240310_130254.thumb.jpg.4665ca8138d4d81700241cc7498b2c16.jpg20240329_180515.thumb.jpg.ae369d40ecac1b163ed0073e8f4e8b3d.jpg20240329_184304.thumb.jpg.5656dda5cd4283c62c71d12a3e7d9783.jpg20240329_184407.thumb.jpg.adb2657c0b91d22c6e1823e636b2ffa0.jpg

Edited by Iraceitall
Added info

Thanks guys! I have another combo plus one Earnhardt one because I liked them so much. I'm planning on a #29 Tim Richmond and a #90 Jody Ridley at some point. I saw a picture of a #21 Valvoline one Buddy Baker ran briefly in 83 that looked super cool too!

Great job. Looking forward to more. Thanks for the wip. Wish more people would wip their builds. Love to watch the creation process. You can pick up ideas for your own builds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bobss396 said:

Those are great kits. I did one with Bill Elliott Slixx decals. 

The one I'd love to do is from 84 when he used the Squarebird at a couple short tracks in the Coors colors. 

• Like 1

Not much new, I tried painting the window trim with mixed results, and after using my trusty Elmer's, the glass won't stay in. I took that as a sign to do better; ordered some Bare Metal Foil and some Testors window glue. After that it's decals and done, I hope!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 10:48 PM, Iraceitall said:

Not much new, I tried painting the window trim with mixed results, and after using my trusty Elmer's, the glass won't stay in. I took that as a sign to do better; ordered some Bare Metal Foil and some Testors window glue. After that it's decals and done, I hope!

I use 5-minute epoxy for most of my glass installation. Mix it up, wait 3 minutes and go for it, that way it is less runny. I tape the glass in place so it doesn't move while the epoxy sets up. I have had luck with masking off the rest of the car and using something ike Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf to do window chrome.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I use 5-minute epoxy for most of my glass installation. Mix it up, wait 3 minutes and go for it, that way it is less runny. I tape the glass in place so it doesn't move while the epoxy sets up. I have had luck with masking off the rest of the car and using something ike Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf to do window chrome.

Bob, I have become a big fan of epoxy especially the clear kind that comes in dropper bottles that you can use over and over again. Such a wonderful substance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Iraceitall said:

Decals going down. Unfortunately the decals have yellowed some, but I'm just enjoying the process.  20240419_201926.thumb.jpg.5b5321c14a41f27d6bd8eee538fa3d6d.jpg

Let me know if you want a set. I have them leftover from my build and they are in my decal stash box.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks. I think I may have another set, I have two of this combo kit, if they look as bad I'll take you up on that offer! Really only the Melling lettering looks bad, the rest seem OK, I cut them as close as possible. 

Edited by Iraceitall
Added info

My other set was no better; I'm putting them under a UV light I used to use to whiten old Tonka parts to see if they lighten up. In the meantime I'm calling it done. It felt good just to complete one. The last model I started on was in 2000, the last one I ever completed was in 1995, so this is a big deal for me. Posting it over in Under Glass. Thank you all for the help!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oldcarfan said:

How did I miss this kit? I didn't know they made a Square-Bird. Looks like you are making excellent progress, have fun on it!

Thanks! It was sold as the "Thunderbird Legends Combo" around 1997, came with two kits and decals for this and Neil Bonnetts #21 Hogdon car.  It's been a fun build, standard Banjo Matthews chassis like all the Ford kits, and the body is pretty decent. I have another, plus Revell sold an Earnhardt Wrangler version in 1998.

I had some leftover Craftsman truck decals I tried to use part of recently, no good. I chucked the rest of the sheet out. The edges were yellow and had some crud around them. These are kept in a plastic shoe box, so they are out of direct light. I keep them with my model supplies in my dining room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobss396 said:

I had some leftover Craftsman truck decals I tried to use part of recently, no good. I chucked the rest of the sheet out. The edges were yellow and had some crud around them. These are kept in a plastic shoe box, so they are out of direct light. I keep them with my model supplies in my dining room.

This kit was still sealed when I bought it, interestingly enough the Neil Bonnett decals look great. I opened the other kit up, also factory sealed, same thing. They came from different parts of the country too. Odd.