Model Cars Magazine Forum

Polar Lights Gas Ronda's 1969 Mustang Funny Car

THarrison351

Second Polar Lights race car I've built. Started it years ago like so many others. I'm glad it's finished. Not a fun build. Many parts do not fit without massage, so be warned. I shortened the chassis 3/16" to get the front wheels closer to the center of the opening. See last two photos. The Slixx decals were brittle as usual, but only a few were affected. Also, several decals were out of scale. Color is poppy red that I mixed myself with Testors bottles. One thing I wish had been done, was a better decals guide. There were none, and the Net wasn't the greatest for the 1969 version.

2v2eFG9GjxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG9nnxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG9qqxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG9FFxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG9ddxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG9yyxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG955xAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG9MqxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG9zFxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG9NNxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG9rrxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eFG9jjxAVNRq.jpg

• Like 9

Well, despite not being the easiest build I think it turned out really nice! The color is spot on and nice work applying the the large decals. Very nicely done model!

I'm building the same kit right now and seeing this definitely inspires me to do more progress with mine.:P

Very nice! I built this kit about 4 years ago but did not shorten the chassis as you did. I wish I had. However I had no problems with any of the decals, but I really expected to, especially the larger ones.

On 3/31/2024 at 4:49 PM, W-409 said:

Well, despite not being the easiest build I think it turned out really nice! The color is spot on and nice work applying the the large decals. Very nicely done model!

I'm building the same kit right now and seeing this definitely inspires me to do more progress with mine.:P

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing yours finished!

On 3/31/2024 at 9:55 PM, Yeah Nah said:

Wow! Nice job on this one Tim.

Thank you!

On 3/31/2024 at 10:01 PM, Nacho Z said:

I’m diggin’ it!  Very nice FC.

Thanks!

On 4/1/2024 at 6:59 AM, M W Elky said:

Looks great 👍. I know what you mean about the fit on these mustangs, but they show off really nice when you get them done. Really good job here.

Thank you!

On 4/1/2024 at 11:52 AM, Sledsel said:

Good job on a finicky kit

Thanks!

On 4/1/2024 at 8:26 PM, Safire6 said:

Very nice! I built this kit about 4 years ago but did not shorten the chassis as you did. I wish I had. However I had no problems with any of the decals, but I really expected to, especially the larger ones.

Thank you! It was only a few of the decals I had problems with cracking, those that I had cut the carrier film close to the color seemed to be the most affected. It took a lot of decal solution to get them to snuggle down and silvering was a problem with a few.

On 4/2/2024 at 6:57 PM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thanks!

On 4/2/2024 at 7:03 PM, jlucky said:

This is one of my FAVORITE funny cars! Sorry you struggled with the build...but it turned out great. 

Thank you! I'm happy Polar Lights created drag cars and NASCARs, but man I wish if they had sent test shots to builders, they would have found all the deficiencies in their kits, because they fill some empty voids. I know Round2 has the molds, but they usually don't reengineer existing kits, just repop them or add new parts and decals.

22 hours ago, Hmann68 said:

Looks fantastic! I know what you mean about a Polar Lights kit…I’m in the middle of the Don Nicholson Cuda FC and it’s tricky for sure. Good work on yours 👍

Thanks! I wasn't aware of a Don Nicholson Cuda FC, I thought his FCs were Comets and Cougars before switching to Pro Stock. Maybe Don Schumacher?

14 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing yours finished!

Thank you!

Thanks!

Thank you!

Thanks!

Thank you! It was only a few of the decals I had problems with cracking, those that I had cut the carrier film close to the color seemed to be the most affected. It took a lot of decal solution to get them to snuggle down and silvering was a problem with a few.

Thanks!

Thank you! I'm happy Polar Lights created drag cars and NASCARs, but man I wish if they had sent test shots to builders, they would have found all the deficiencies in their kits, because they fill some empty voids. I know Round2 has the molds, but they usually don't reengineer existing kits, just repop them or add new parts and decals.

Thanks! I wasn't aware of a Don Nicholson Cuda FC, I thought his FCs were Comets and Cougars before switching to Pro Stock. Maybe Don Schumacher?

Yep Don Schumacher! Sorry, brain cramp 🤣🤣