Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 April 2024

21 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Looks like Chris of Hpiguys is building one....

A question for Steve Goldman tho; is the stock grille still included or is blocked off?

Cheers

Luc

image.png.ef92f2c054131b1da7c3253c62d058f7.png

The new grille is an added option, the regular Catalina grille and I believe the Custom grille parts are still in there. 

-Steve 

• Like 3

On 4/2/2024 at 9:23 AM, Dave Darby said:

I hate to "Super Sports Grip" the box art for the 62 Pontiac (Super Sports Grip refers to the first time I watched "The Notebook" with my then future wife, and I pointed out the Super Sports Grip steering wheel cover on the the Hudson Allie drove up in, to see Noah, shortly after World War II). Obviously, those didn't exist yet. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time bolting those 5 lug reversed wheels onto an 8 Lug Pontiac rear axle.

The wheels in 1:1 (and scale) can be changed out by changing the brake drums, which is to say removing the 8-lug wheels by unbolting the rear drums (with a 5/5 pattern inside the hub) and simply switching out fronts.  The Pontiac spindles, axles, backing plates, axle flanges, yadda yadda are all common regardless of wheel selection. Nice to see them in a kit, might put me over the edge to chase another '62. FWIW, in the day, it was not uncommon for racers to have standard rear drums with the slicks in the garage and change them out on race day. Much wider selection of tires and wheel sizes that way. There was only a factory 14" 8-lug steel rim at a set width, which tended to limit tire selection.  IMO, this also juices the choices for your Moby bubbletops - have a box of AMT parts including the diamond tuft interior "sittin' in la-la waitin for ya-ya" to knock out a custom '61.  

On 4/15/2024 at 10:08 PM, Ragtop Man said:

The wheels in 1:1 (and scale) can be changed out by changing the brake drums, which is to say removing the 8-lug wheels by unbolting the rear drums (with a 5/5 pattern inside the hub) and simply switching out fronts.  The Pontiac spindles, axles, backing plates, axle flanges, yadda yadda are all common regardless of wheel selection. Nice to see them in a kit, might put me over the edge to chase another '62. FWIW, in the day, it was not uncommon for racers to have standard rear drums with the slicks in the garage and change them out on race day. Much wider selection of tires and wheel sizes that way. There was only a factory 14" 8-lug steel rim at a set width, which tended to limit tire selection.  IMO, this also juices the choices for your Moby bubbletops - have a box of AMT parts including the diamond tuft interior "sittin' in la-la waitin for ya-ya" to knock out a custom '61.  

Yep. that was addressed to me after I posted. I'm looking forward to picking one or a few up myself.

image.png.81f4304124ea266a2b6067d57630b1bc.png