Model Cars Magazine Forum

Formula 1

Well it's finally that time of year again to kick off the F1 season.

Should prove interesting.

The McLaren car is not up to speed and has been at the bottom of the time sheets for the last month and a half of testing, allowing LH to get out of his contract from a performance clause - if the car is not up to speed. LH announced last night he was entertaining discussions with any other team that might want to pick him up - including Ferrari.

Kimi R. was pretty much told that if had another year like last it was going to be his last year in F1. So his seat is on the line opening up a seat. I don't know if I could stand to continue supporting Ferrari if LH steps in.

No more Honda, it was sold to Braun Racing and is blindingly fast, but controversial - possibly having an loophole legal diffuser.

Ferrari is in good form and is right where they want to be coming into the first race according to the team. They had good test sessions and were always around the top of the sheets. No real surpise there.

Practice 1 is in about ten hours. I am not sure if it's going to be on, but Practic 2, Qualifying and the Race will all be live on speed.

Edited by CAL

Friday practice is done. If this is a indication of how the season is going to play out, it's going to be good. I hope all the teams are competitive. B)

Practice doesn't mean much, it's how qualifying shakes out that will tell more.

This should indeed prove to be an interesting season what with all the rule changes.The Brawn team has been an eye opener to say the least.Massa has said that they will be Ferrari's main competition this year.I had not heard about that news concerning LH.Of all the teams, the Tifosi root more for the car rather than who's driving it.It would be strange to see LH in the red car none the less.On another note,i wonder how many front wings will be knocked off on the first turn in Australia?Well,here is this Tifoso rooting for another great year for Scuderia Ferrari.Hopefully a one,two in the WDC and the Constructor's title."Forza Ferrari!!!

This should indeed prove to be an interesting season what with all the rule changes.The Brawn team has been an eye opener to say the least.Massa has said that they will be Ferrari's main competition this year.I had not heard about that news concerning LH.Of all the teams, the Tifosi root more for the car rather than who's driving it.It would be strange to see LH in the red car none the less.On another note,i wonder how many front wings will be knocked off on the first turn in Australia?Well,here is this Tifoso rooting for another great year for Scuderia Ferrari.Hopefully a one,two in the WDC and the Constructor's title."Forza Ferrari!!!

Donno but they are just sticking out there begging to get knocked off.

The Brawn car has two things going for: Much further development than any one else. They started this car last year. The other thing is the controversial rear diffuser which has a lot more volume to it than anyone else. Two other teams with possibly illegal diffuser also very fast out of the box. It is interesting to note that the teams with the "Diffuser" cars didn't have any input or even attended the tech meetings where the new rules were hammered out. So clearly if they found a loop-hole in the rules and quite possibly in violation of the "Spirit of the rules". Ether everyone is going to start developing the diffuser or the will get banned. Either way it seems with the drastical rule changes things are off killter. Notwithstanding, the silver bullets have become silver slugs.

The problem is that the other teams were going to do that with their diffusers. But when they asked the FIA for clarification, they were told they could not. That's what the main protest is about. Some teams were given the okay; some teams weren't.

As for the race, what's going to happen is that Lewis Hamilton is going to start toward the back and on the first turn, he's going to plow through the field and take out everybody. Because if he can't win, nobody can win! :( (As you can see, I'm not a big Hamilton fan.)

The problem is that the other teams were going to do that with their diffusers. But when they asked the FIA for clarification, they were told they could not. That's what the main protest is about. Some teams were given the okay; some teams weren't.

As for the race, what's going to happen is that Lewis Hamilton is going to start toward the back and on the first turn, he's going to plow through the field and take out everybody. Because if he can't win, nobody can win! :( (As you can see, I'm not a big Hamilton fan.)

Some teams didn't ask. They just read the rule book. Some teams help develope the rules and were involved.

LH I think is going to start pretty far back. The Ferraris might even be midfield.

rollinglaugh.gif

Yeah i'm staying up late for this weekend :D It should be good, can't wait to hear them, at least they still rev to 18,000. ;) Ferrari IS going to do well.....Chris you basically sumed it up for me, thanks! :lol:

rollinglaugh.gif

Yeah i'm staying up late for this weekend :lol: It should be good, can't wait to hear them, at least they still rev to 18,000. :lol: Ferrari IS going to do well.....Chris you basically sumed it up for me, thanks! :lol:

Not quite as impressive sounding. You could really hear a difference last night during practice.

I couldn't stay awake to watch qualifying, but I went to the F1 website this morning. WOW what a shake up from last year. :P Ross Brawn was brilliant when he was at Ferrari, looks like he hasn't lost his touch. He must have figured out the something about the new cars and rules. I bet WonderBoy wasn't too happy. B)

Edited by 58 Impala

Okay, just turned on the replay (and I said I wasn't going to watch)...sheesh, the new cars are fuglier than Daytona Prototypes B):)

They are kind of stupid looking.

I thought it was a rather stupid race. Yah, there was a lot of passing, but this isn't NASCAR. They kept on trying to hit each other every single time. They need to do something about the rear down force. These cars are spinning out way too easily. And someone's going to get killed. They also need to something about the gap between the hard and soft tires. The soft tires aren't helping the race at all. Just makes them have to do more pit stops. The tires don't even last more than a handful of laps.

Edited by Brendan

Normally I agree with Bob's synopsis of things. Although now I'm going to have to disagree with him. I like the way the cars look. Much cleaner. Cut and dry. Looking at last years cars I felt like I had to re-take Geometry.

I did stay up to watch the race and for the most part is was ho-hum, mainly because Ferrari was nowhere to be seen.

We'll have to see how the season goes as it looks like it might be up and down for all the teams.

Could David Hobbs please not call them "trick" diffusers? They played with the gray area and it worked. Now lets see what happens next race....

Chris

Normally I agree with Bob's synopsis of things. Although now I'm going to have to disagree with him. I like the way the cars look. Much cleaner. Cut and dry. Looking at last years cars I felt like I had to re-take Geometry.

Chris

Glad somebody likes it :D

Don't get your hopes up for a Tamiya kit :lol:

To me they look like some sort of SCCA club racer, not anything close to what I would expect as the pinnacle of racing technology. All that extraneous stuff before didn't help, but the cars looked more purposeful and technical. Now they look dumbed-down. I hope it helps the racing.

Okay, just turned on the replay (and I said I wasn't going to watch)...sheesh, the new cars are fuglier than Daytona Prototypes :blink::D

:lol: YOU WATCHED IT??? :o They need to race at Laguna :lol::D:o

I tried to watch the live coverage but dang I watched the beginning and fell asleep until the very end, but I was tired I wasn't really paying attention so I watched the replay! :blink:

Chris, Brendan, all of you I agree with, it was a crash fest and they need to change some things around and the having to use all sets of compounds is ridiculous. I actually grwon to the cars, especially after watching the thing with Posey and the animation with Vettel. They are sleeker and simple and after 11 years, slicks! Vettel's 3 wheeled finish was a great part in my watching experience ;) Even though Ferrari wasn't really in sight, it's sweet that the Brawny cars got it on their first race, with a brand new team. Since the French Grand Prix in 1954 with Juan Manuel Fangio and Karl Kling for Mercedes-Benz. I thought it was with Jacky Ickx and some one else.

Nice to see Schumacher there, Brawn still has it obviously. It was funny how they were saying about Button only having one win in 200 races and.....he wins it! Barrichello needed this.

Although Trulli lost his podium spot forsafety car infringement and Vettel penalized for Kubica crash.....WHAT??? :huh:

It does look like a SCCA Formula car or Mazda Atlantic car.....they are just weird!!

:D YOU WATCHED IT??? :blink: They need to race at Laguna :lol::lol::D

It does look like a SCCA Formula car or Mazda Atlantic car.....they are just weird!!

Don't worry, I only watched a couple laps of the race. Surfing the 'net and telephone calls were far more entertaining :o

I watched and enjoyed it, as I have nearly every race for the last few years. The rules mean very little, as is proven by the fact that the cars get faster nearly every year.

The only thing wrong with F1 as I see it is Bernie Ecclestone. The team owners should own and control the series they support, as there would be no F1 without them.