Model Cars Magazine Forum

DDA Collectibles Ford Falcon XY

Hi guys,

As stated above, DDA has brought out some Ford Falcon kits. There are a few different versions of this kitset including stock and modded for the XY an XW Falcon. See online for more info.

https://www.scalemodeller.com.au/blogs/from-the-desk-sms/first-look-at-the-new-1-24-xy-falcon-kit-from-dda

432020213_1009941197159862_6666133133520275477_n.jpg

Edited by Michael jones
  • Like 4

To my eye, the rake of the rear window is not quite right.  When built and painted it can only possibly be an XW or XY Falcon and Aussies have waited half a century or more to get our homegrown cars manufactured but I just wish they would take that little bit longer to get them right. Dan, you are correct about it being an XR and having a different roofline to the XY but sadly the XY is still not quite right to my eye.

I had a dear friend in Sydney who was somewhat of an oracle on toys and models of Australian manufactured cars. He had quite a lot to do with providing reference information for the first ever modern range of 1/43rd diecast Australian cars.  Some of these didn't quite look right and the owner of the company confirmed that one of the biggest problems he had was that a Chinese designer or pattern maker had never seen any of these cars in real life and thus was unaware when a line or a detail was just a smidgen off, as with the XY shown above.

I just wish the Aussie owners of the companies who HAVE seen real Holdens, Falcons and Valiant were just a bit fussier on getting the proportions spot on.

Nonetheless, I have bought four of DDA's products so far and just hope that they will improve with time.

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alan barton said:

To my eye, the rake of the rear window is not quite right.  When built and painted it can only possibly be an XW or XY Falcon and Aussies have waited half a century or more to get our homegrown cars manufactured but I just wish they would take that little bit longer to get them right. Dan, you are correct about it being an XR and having a different roofline to the XY but sadly the XY is still not quite right to my eye.

I had a dear friend in Sydney who was somewhat of an oracle on toys and models of Australian manufactured cars. He had quite a lot to do with providing reference information for the first ever modern range of 1/43rd diecast Australian cars.  Some of these didn't quite look right and the owner of the company confirmed that one of the biggest problems he had was that a Chinese designer or pattern maker had never seen any of these cars in real life and thus was unaware when a line or a detail was just a smidgen off, as with the XY shown above.

I just wish the Aussie owners of the companies who HAVE seen real Holdens, Falcons and Valiant were just a bit fussier on getting the proportions spot on.

Nonetheless, I have bought four of DDA's products so far and just hope that they will improve with time.

Cheers

Alan

As these kits are taken from molds used for diecast cars, I am unsure if they will be changing the body shape at all. I know that the DDA Torana LJ has a rear spoiler a little too tall and the A9X is a little to low at the back as well (neither of these cars have been released yet as kits). I hope I am wrong! This Falcon looks cool to me anyway, and I have one coming to build.

Yes, Michael, I was aware of the diecast connection.  I have wondered about the significance of that.  When you see DDA diecast in a hobby shop, they look pretty good but they are all painted nice and shiny and you are seeing them inside a box generally.  They also have a bit of a Jada D rods look about them as well which is probably quite acceptable to a diecast collector.  

I guess what I am hoping is that DDA will be more fussy about their diecast moulds so that, in turn, the plastic models are more accurate!

Cheers

Alan

I also thought that something looked off with it too but bit the bullet and ordered one. I’ve also ordered myself a 3d printed XW/XY too as a back up

Side by side comparison.

9nJiib.jpg

It's not the roof line as such but the top of the door frame is too straight compared to the real car which has a downward curve. I'm not too sure how easily that could be fixed as there have been issues with the plastic DDA uses that doesn't like to take glue.  The other issues are with the wheel arches. The front wheel arch flare is too wide at the bottom (easily fixed with the Dremel) and the front of the rear wheel arch flare needs to meet the door shut line. Also the rear lower swage line is a bit too high where it meets the bumper. Honestly, the model is still buildable so these issues shouldn't really be of concern to the casual modeller.

Cheers

ShwnS

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bigryan18 said:

Is there a US distributor for those kits because the shop costs from Australia is ridiculous...

Same for Europe and then there's the matter of sales tax and cost to get it past customs. A couple of months ago I had an issue with replacement parts, sent to me at no cost, but to get it into the country would cost me $25, so returned it to sender and they had it sent to a friend in the US where I will pick it up when visiting next year. Belgium I really had it! GRRRR 

• Like 1