Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ranchero Gasser

Sledsel

Okay, after my accident in 2022 I had thought about giving up my building because of my injuries, with much encouragement from family, friends and many members of this page I didn't. I finished an MPC Willys panel van (snap) and a Linbergh Crown Victoria police car (snap) with good results. I decided ok, lets break out the glue.

I went to my stash and chose this kit, I guess you can call it a step above a snap. LOL

IMG_20240415_033527593(640x482).jpg.c2bb6f04a29d886b5e40b8a536bf5cab.jpg

The Plan:

Cut off inner fender wells and front suspension, fill and clean up front frame, cut out rear wheel wells, add proper Ford engine, straight axle and slicks........ Gasser done

The Plan Implodes:   

Well, front frame as planned looked like s#^t so I cut it off and made new frame rails similar to what is original from evergreen. Kit firewall looked just as bad so off to the parts boxes and a slightly modified Nascar firewall fit the bill. Added some bars and assembled the basics so the frame rails had support.

I finished assembling the front suspension with '37 Chevy parts and now the rear suspension was unacceptable. The solution was  cut the rear of the chassis plate off and construct frame rails as the Ranchero was actually assembled, connected to the bed floor. I removed the exhaust and driveshaft tunnel from the remaining chassis plate. A new driveshaft tunnel was installed and I also added frame ties and a loop. The remainder of the chassis is all parts box stuff. Edit, I did not have a set of traction bars that fit correctly and Mike 1017 provided a great set.

I considered cutting the interior apart but drew the line. I added a roll bar, shifter and gauges, done!

Engine had to be an SOHC Ford, instead of a supercharger or injection I went with dual carburators. Thank you to Classicgas for the air cleaner assembly, it was my missing piece of the puzzle.

The body is stock other than cutting the rear wheel wells. I did not like the molded headlights so I very carefully drilled and trimmed them out. I took several sets of chrome headlights from the AMT 66 Mustang kits and casted them with clear epoxy resin. (BTW, this was my very first experience with making a mold and casting something) The wheels and hood are from Drag City Casting, color is Fiery Orange which came out very dark. Slixx and misc decals added. Needs a few minor touch ups but it is done.

Hope you survived my rambling and enjoy my first return to glue kit.        

IMG_20240415_100852611_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240415_100932621_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240415_100919345_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240415_101326917.jpg

IMG_20240415_101305273.jpg

IMG_20240415_101202189.jpg

IMG_20240415_101532039_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240415_101600891_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240415_140034371_HDR.jpg

Edited by Sledsel
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Keef said:

LOVE this!! I had the same idea but never got past the mock-up stage. 

IMG_1222.jpeg

if you get into it, it will be a cool project. The mock up looks good, not sure I ever did a mock up til it was about 75% done. I had fun with mine.