Model Cars Magazine Forum

Patinating brass ?

Does anyone here at MCF have experience, knowledge or tips on how to patinate brass ?

The parts are polished and very nice but they don't fit with the rest of my friend's big scale all metal build.

There are many products readily available to help with this. I use this product on almost everything I'm trying to tarnish, but there are many similar products. I got mine from a stained glass store but there are similar products at larger hobby stores that offer metal craft, glass cutting or soldering products. 

Some nice brass, like hinges or clasps sometimes have a clear coat protective layer which will need to be stripped off. Acetone works for that.

If your friend has large pieces for cars and motorcycles, he should inquire about acids dips which I have no experience with.

Novacan.jpg.8373d02ad2be6915a4706148a0577220.jpg

These are some drywall anchors I blackened for a steampunk nerf gun blaster. At full strength blackening happens immediately but it can be managed by diluting with water. These were blackened, rubbed with a cloth, then lightly buffed with fine steel wool.

Shields-with-Blackener.jpg.9a0c53dd734bed00fd6d4019f7f3a5cb.jpg

I built this sci-fi blaster box from scratch and all the metal pieces on this and the blaster (except for the round canister and box handle) were darkened, including screw heads and other shiny bits. The rest was model paints and stain.

Unknown-1.jpeg.6e1f9ca12e6ad26f957b22a18ebf9a7f.jpeg

BrassLatch.jpeg.53bc734e0926d3ed6123872f1ab94f20.jpeg

Edited by Lunajammer
  • Thanks 2

Model railroaders have used various products and home-brews over the years for metal-blackening/tarnishing too...so there's another rabbit hole to search down.

EDIT: I just remembered Rub 'n Buff has a color called "patina" that can be very effective creating weathered brass and copper finishes...

image.png.33d8378ef66c88b49111be706ab8d909.png     image.png.38b03d67e1309f71601fef1e90a2e625.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I guess the question is exactly what degree of weathering/patine is desired?  For example is it a brass radiator which has a clean and dull (not polished) surface, or is heavy patina (discoloration) needed?

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, sorry I was a bit unclear, he probably wants to darken the brass. I think I have figured out why the parts have not darkened for him, he has turned pieces out of the good to have box and happened to take a more noble alloy. 
The vapors from cooked eggs apparently darken the surface.
It is easy to take what is at hand when you have flow.