Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Dodge Demon 340

mrmike

I have been chasing this model kit since my birthday in February! And since I needed to buy some paint at Hobby Emporium, they had three of these on the shelf and I grabbed one. The MPC small block 340 does look like it is a tad small compared to an AMT 340 small block (I have two). I plan on building this Demon 340 with the hood scoops, Cragar SS mags, no rear spoiler and stock decals. I can understand why some are using the AMT '71 Duster 340 as a donor kit or replacing the small block 340 engine.

Demon01.JPG

Demon02.JPG

Demon03.JPG

• Like 3

I started on the Demon 340 by assembling and painting the engine. I cued up my Mopar painting guide and it said blue. The instructions said orange and I Googled what color it should be and it depends on when the engine was built. As you can see, I painted the engine orange. I spent some time dry fitting various parts and pieces and studying the instructions and now I am ready to go and assemble this kit.

Demon04.JPG

Demon05.JPG

Demon06.JPG

• Like 2

Been working on the Demon 340. I got the engine assembled and it is waiting for plug wires and some plumbing. I replaced the distributor since I ruined the kit distributor trying to drill it out for plug wires. The rear end assembly has been paint detailed including Alclad II Chrome paint for the exhaust tips. I wrapped the pipes with tape and lightly sprayed the exhaust tips and they came out excellent! I started on the chassis and I mocked up the rear end assembly on the chassis.

Demon07.JPG

Demon08.JPG

Demon09.JPG

• Like 4

I fired up the paintbooth and the paint was flying today! I painted the body and hood, the chassis, the interior and some random parts with my spray cans.

Demon10.JPG

Demon11.JPG

Demon12.JPG

• Like 5

One thing missing from this and many other kits is the ignition coil. I went and made one for this kit since this is not one in the kit. I used a piece of sprue painted black and wrapped a piece of Bare Metal Foil around it. I drilled a hole in the middle of the sprue for a length of ignition wire and glued it in place on the engine manifold.

Demon13.JPG

Demon14.JPG

Demon15.JPG

• Like 1

The chassis is almost complete. I usually forget to paint the side view mirrors, but not this time. I forgot the rear bulkhead, core support and the front valance. Bummer! Out comes the paint and primer.

Demon16.JPG

Demon17.JPG

Demon18.JPG

• Like 1

I painted my missing parts and I decal the dash, but the decal didn't settle into the dash like I hope it would. The speedo and gauges were too tall and I used a lot of setting solution just to get the decal were it is. I have seen pics of one, but I have never actually seen a manual shifter with a console on an A body car.

Demon19.JPG

Demon20.JPG

Demon21.JPG

7 hours ago, mrmike said:
I painted my missing parts and I decal the dash, but the decal didn't settle into the dash like I hope it would. The speedo and gauges were too tall and I used a lot of setting solution just to get the decal were it is. I have seen pics of one, but I have never actually seen a manual shifter with a console on an A body car.

Demon19.JPG

Demon20.JPG

Demon21.JPG

When they retooled this kit, they should have eliminated the console, or make it optional. A bodies dropped having consoles for 4 speeds at the end of 1969. I wonder if you carefully sliced the decal where the wood grain meets the gauge if it would lay in there better. It might be too brittle now though. I will have to keep that in mind when I build one of mine. What color orange is that? In some of the pics it almost looks like vitamin c.

Those decals are a bit of a nightmare on the dash.   I used the decals from The Last Detail.  Old, but they worked for the dash.   Keep the good work up

14 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

When they retooled this kit, they should have eliminated the console, or make it optional. A bodies dropped having consoles for 4 speeds at the end of 1969. I wonder if you carefully sliced the decal where the wood grain meets the gauge if it would lay in there better. It might be too brittle now though. I will have to keep that in mind when I build one of mine. What color orange is that? In some of the pics it almost looks like vitamin c.

Rich, the color is Model Master Hemi Orange Lacquer.  The decals are on with a lot of setting solution.  

Thanks Rick, David and Carl!

1971 Dodge Demon 340
I have finished the chassis and the interior. I should have painted the wood grain on the dash and then used the individual decals in place of the entire decal strip. The body is next!

Demon22.JPG

Demon23.JPG

Demon24.JPG

• Like 1