Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model King/AMT 1964 Comet

7 hours ago, LennyB said:

Looks really nice, color combo and the stance right on the money

I have this in my stash and had thought about using the Revell 64 Thunderbolt chassis. Is there any reason you went with the 66 instead?

I had the 66 Fairlane on hand, as well as the 67. I didn't have a Thunderbolt, but I've read elsewhere those components will work also, although I can't personally verify that. So much of the 66 Fairlane parts were nearly a drop in fit. Any mods were done to the 64 Comet itself, and almost nothing was modded on the 66 Fairlane parts, beyond what I mentioned in my original post.

On 5/6/2024 at 12:39 AM, ReduitRetro said:

Very very nice Mercury Comet build! It's somewhat rare to see these kits featured...in ANY form. Glad to see I caught this one. Is this the Caliente version by the way?

Yes it is James.

8 minutes ago, Kenmojr said:

I've not seen this car in model kit form prior. Is Model King a diecast company? I am not familiar with Model King.

This is one head turner of a build.

Ken, "Model King" is Dave Burket. One of the major kit retailers in the eastern US. 

He's partnered up with some of the big kit companies like Rc2 [sold out to Round2], Revell/Monogram and  Mobius to do some special run kits in the past. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 6:09 PM, karbuildr said:

When this Model King issue first hit the shelves some years ago, I couldn't wait to get into it. I had plans for it using the AMT 66 Fairlane kit's chassis, suspension, engine and other parts. First thing I did was cut out the hood using the backside of a #11 Xacto knife blade. That took a while but it was the best way to release the hood with minimal damage. It also minimized the clean up needed with a sanding stick. After that, I did some test fitting and discovered the chassis was nearly a drop-in fit. I did remove all of the mounting posts for the kit’s basic chassis. I also found it necessary to remove a small amount from the back end of the Fairlane's chassis, and that was really it. The front suspension in the source kit (66 Fairlane) had an issue with the front tires sticking out past the fenders and sitting a touch too high, much like the Mustang kits from AMT in the same general time period. To correct/avoid that, I reversed the front spindles and moved them inboard. In retrospect, I could have skipped reversing the spindles because it presented a bit more forward rake than I really wanted. There were no extensive mods needed and the 64 Comet kit interior was used as well. I airbrushed Testors Lacquer Revving Red over light grey primer, followed by Tamiya TS-13 clear, eventually polished out. The interior was sprayed a slightly darker red which I had saved from a previous build. I can't recall the source though. (One day, I'll learn to photograph my interiors before installing them) The engine was wired and plumbed. Tires are the old muscle car tires included with just about every AMT kit from previous years before the much improved tires included now. Mag wheels and wheel backs were from my parts box, again, source unknown. I didn't bother with bare metal foil for the body sides, preferring a more minimal look instead.

I'm really digging that! It makes me want to dig this one out and finish it....

image.jpeg.662e49376e1c9d7e08cfa872379dd834.jpeg