Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another GTO question, intake manifold

I started in n engine assembly of the 1967 GTO last night. Boy, I knew that kit wasn't the best, but boy oh boy. So, I got out the 66 GTO kit, and it looks like I will be using everything except for the interior and body from the 66 kit.

The 66 engine has a tri-power intake setup, and I need a single 4 barrel setup. Would a SBC manifold work on the Pontiac engine? I have the manifold from the Revell 65 Chevy pickup that I could use if that works.

I checked the Revell Pontiac parts pack engine, and it has the tri-power setup also.

Posted (edited)

No, a SBC manifold will NOT work on a Pontiac for several reasons.

The biggest one is that the Pontiac V8 engines have the opposite cylinder stagger from a SBC, so the ports won't line up at all.

SBC has the LH head farther forward than the RH head, Pontiac blocks have the RH head farther forward.

SBC port stagger:   image.png.44a136aec49490e569c1c7fb8dc45ea8.png

Pontiac port stagger:   image.png.f9d24b1effd96f848e7443eb6c1fa4d9.png

Two more reasons 1) the water outlet under the t-stat housing on the vertical front surface of the Pontiac manifold that has to be there to mate with the front cover/water pump doesn't exist on a Chevy manifold, and 2) the distributor drive goes through SBC manifolds, while it comes straight out of Pontiac blocks.

Note the water port directly under the thermostat location. It connects to the timing cover which is configured very differently from the SBC. (photo below)

image.png.681ea3d934487eae9db9f607aaab1752.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you, i was doing some sleuthing also and found the distributor issue. I will have to dig through my stash and see if I can find a Pontiac single barrel carb intake. That's assuming the kit engines are actually Pontiac's and not just generic SBC's.

I will be curious to see if the model intakes have the water crossover molded with the intake, the water pump, or a separate piece.

Edited by ksnow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Only decent 4bbl Pontiac I recollect is the Revell 68 Firebird 400.  

And that is one I don't have, but have been considering. I guess it might be time.

Here's the pic from the revell 68 instructions (from Scalemates). Looks like the cylinder stagger is correct, but they have the distributor going through the intake. Could always remove the back "flange" of the intake to look closer. And extend the post on the kit distributor.

revell firebird.png

Posted (edited)

The Revell '68 Firebird's intake will work just fine on the '66 GTO engine.

I used this exact combo on my '64 Bonneville, and again, modified into a 2-bbl intake for my current '64 Lemans project.

As the intake was "open" to the valley pan, I opened up the '68 intake.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Ol' Steven here beat me to the punch! I'm looking at my 1:1 400 as I write this.......don't forget about the Pontiac valley pan. Chevy intake acts as it's own seal against the lifter valley. The taller the runners on the Pontiac manifold, the more you'll see of the pan, as the "Butler" photo above shows. Got me a polished pan on mine! Think it added 25 HP.........LOLOL!!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CaddyDaddy said:

Ol' Steven here beat me to the punch! I'm looking at my 1:1 400 as I write this.......don't forget about the Pontiac valley pan. Chevy intake acts as it's own seal against the lifter valley. The taller the runners on the Pontiac manifold, the more you'll see of the pan, as the "Butler" photo above shows. Got me a polished pan on mine! Think it added 25 HP.........LOLOL!!!!

I may have gone a little too far on my '64, but I scratch made a valley pan for it.

Might go a little simpler for my Lemans, but then again, for me, the point was having fun doing it. :D

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

8 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I may have gone a little too far on my '64, but I scratch made a valley pan for it.

Might go a little simpler for my Lemans, but then again, for me, the point was having fun doing it. :D

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Love the realistic engine finish on this.

49 minutes ago, ksnow said:

Wow, great detail. Should have ported out the heads while you were at it. I think I'll just level off the top of the block...

:)

Didn't go that far, but I had a lot of fun on this engine, and discovered a few little detail adding tricks along the way.

As you brought up the heads, one simple addition was to do a little additional drilling on the plugs and bolt holes on the ends of the heads.

Little things like that can add a lot of depth and dimension to parts that can be a little lacking in detail, and are simple to do.

Just fun little things to experiment with. ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 1