Model Cars Magazine Forum

Posted (edited)

When I seriously got back into modeling after I retired a few years ago  I wanted to build a replica of the aircraft my dad restored in the late 1950s for the owner. It is a Stinson V-77 which was a military variant of the Reliant series built in the 1930’s and 40’s. The first picture was taken in about 1960 with my father leaning on the prop. I flew with him many times in this airplane until it was sold in the mid 60’s.  I built the model using the 1/48 AMT Stinson reliant and cowling from the AMT Beech Stagger wing. The windshield was scratch built from clear plastic and the copilot side door was sealed the cowling from the beech was reshaped to include the oil cooler scoop  and fixed cowl flap at the rear. It was then airbrushed white and then masked for the blue and sprayed. After polishing I applied the home made N number decals and coated it with 3 coats of pledge floor coating. I had to also modify the wing struts so that the wings had dihedral instead of drooping anhedral. I think it resulted in a close replica.

IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

IMG_0372.jpeg

IMG_0373.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

IMG_0376.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

IMG_0378.jpeg

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_0382.jpeg

Edited by Curvette1
  • Like 8

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. @TarheelRick Yes it was a complicated mask job and I had to lift and replace a lot of tape before it looked right. I’m also retired Air Force so here’s to you!  🍺