Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Dart Sportsman going Aug

Excellent! Looks like a recolouring of the box art for the Warren Stewart kit.

IIRC, the last time this kit was available was back in 2000 as part of AMT's Millennium collection. Judging by the box side art:

image.jpeg.5ebfee3d38c6d1e9b46bfc8fb25e4d4f.jpeg

...the chassis looks near identical to the Valiant/Scamp/Dart kit HPI Guy built a few years ago, with exception of the tinwork, from behind the driver's seat, to the back of the car.

I've never built either kit, and would love to get this one, thanks!

2 hours ago, Stef said:

.the chassis looks near identical to the Valiant/Scamp/Dart kit HPI Guy built a few years ago, with exception of the tinwork, from behind the driver's seat, to the back of the car.

I've never built either kit, and would love to get this one, thanks!

Yep! I have several reissues of the Petty kit car, the millennium reissue and the Jim Cushman reissue. They all share the same chassis and most of the roll cage. Built one of the Petty cars so far. More to come.

• Like 1

Is this the same Dart that was included with the Ford race hauler in Richard Petty livery?

image.jpeg

If it is, I have one if anyone wants to trade for something. I built the truck, will never build the car.

On a side note, the AMT Dart/Valiant Sportsman kit can be combined with Lindberg’s (ex. Palmer) 1972 Dodge Challenger to create a reasonably accurate replica of the experimental Challenger “kit car” Sportsman racer.

On 5/9/2024 at 11:02 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Is this the same Dart that was included with the Ford race hauler in Richard Petty livery?

image.jpeg

If it is, I have one if anyone wants to trade for something. I built the truck, will never build the car.

Different Dart, but as mentioned above, uses much of the same chassis. The body shell on the kit in question is like a '75 or '76 Dart Sport.

12 hours ago, Chris V said:

On a side note, the AMT Dart/Valiant Sportsman kit can be combined with Lindberg’s (ex. Palmer) 1972 Dodge Challenger to create a reasonably accurate replica of the experimental Challenger “kit car” Sportsman racer.

I've long thought about trying to build that one!