Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is that a “closed ventilation system” face mask? (fully sealed around your face where you’re only breathing clean air from outside)? If so, good for you, you’re a smart dude. These 2K 2 part urethane clear coat paints are very harmful (carcinogenic), not worth the risk IMO for the sake of getting a shiny car model. I worry about all the guys using 2K without adequate protection. 

• Like 2

I can see fumes get sucked out with no back draft. When I extend the hose all of the way it reaches all the way up to the top of the window well. My son sprayed primer into the booth. While I was on top. The fan is strong enough to blow the fumes out all the way to the top  The mask is a closed system.

Mike

IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.48e4226ae20b65fbccceed67b20ef213.JPG IMG_0005.thumb.JPG.69283860f1d8efca9827a826ea8d26ca.JPG

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

...The mask is a closed system.

Actually, it's not a "closed system".

A closed system would have no air intakes through the filters on the front. It would be a rebreather, essentially.

You need to be very careful and verify that those filters are rated for isocyanates. That's the BAD part of 2K, and it can kill you if you're sensitive to it.

"Isocyanate sensitivity, or allergy, can occur in some workers who are exposed to isocyanates. This can lead to severe asthma attacks, and in some cases, death from hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a lung reaction."

A mask like that would be better with a constant clean air supply.

I have one that I use in the big-car booth that runs specially filtered air from the compressor through a waist-worn cooler and into the mask.

Because it runs at positive pressure relative to the booth or surroundings, no vapor or smell can get in it. None, zero, period.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You need to be very careful and verify that those filters are rated for isocyanates. That's the BAD part of 2K, and it can kill you if you're sensitive to it.

Thank you Bill for posting your clarification and the warning above. As a cancer survivor, I try to encourage fellow modelers here and elsewhere to take precautions with the toxic materials we handle. Let’s all try to grow old together and leave as few unbuilt model kits as we can before we check out!

• Like 2

The filters are rated for Isocyanate and other toxic chemicals. I stand corrected my respirator is not a closed system. I painted a car today with 2k . With the mask on I could not smell any fumes. My paint booth sucked the fumes outside. No residual fumes that I could smell.

I am not gonna 2k all the cars that I build. I hope that newbies read about the 2k dangers before they use it. This forum is how I learned about the dangers and how to protect myself.                                                                                                  Mike

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 9:36 AM, papajohn97 said:

I worry about all the guys using 2K without adequate protection.

I can guarantee you that they're not.

The 2K craze has taken over the hobby, and all one has to do is spend a few moments on the Facebook groups to see that anyone who is not using it, is being encouraged to do so, with very little, to no discussion at all about the risks involved.

It's a little scary!

Personally, I'll stick with my clear lacquer and polishing regimen.

Works just fine for me, and apparently the results speak for themselves.

And I can do it without the potential for killing myself. ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I believe there are numerous great options available, in spray or bottle, of lacquer, enamel or acrylic formats that are safer health-wise. To me, 2 K is one that does not have to be pursued.

Edited by Bill Eh?

17 hours ago, catpack68 said:

I have that same booth and it does not work as good as i thought. I will probably end up getting one with dual fans.

The motor's power will give you a rough idea of its 'pumping' capacity. I use a 55 Watt ex kitchen hood blower, and it's not enough when I paint 'full blast'. I have a 150 Watt blower waiting to be installed.

Rob

I'd take the step to put that vent into a piece of plywood or something similar, so you have a functionally closed window.  2K is shiny atomized super glue, if you spray it with that window standing open like that it's going to wind up looking like a breaded chicken cutlet as every bit of dust, floof, fuzz, and pollen swirling around your basement is going to land in it.