Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Update time, not a biggy, but it's kept me busy.

Chuck, I left the V-10 in the parts box for a future project. Yeh, it's got a HEMI!

I have the chrome headligthts that came with the 32 Ford fenders, but I wanted something similar to the ones on a 37 Chevy. I happen to have the chrome bezels from AMT's 37 Chevy gasser kit, so some buckets were needed to work with those. Here's the what I came up with. These are the caps from some gel pens (with sparkle glitter :) ). The pointed ends weren't quite pointed; they were indented so a little reshaping was required. Then they were cut down to a more reasonable length. 1/8th inch rod was inserted to provide a solid mount. I didn't want to just glue them to fender tops.

IMG_3509b.jpg

IMG_3513b.jpg

IMG_3567b.jpg

and the result...

Holes were drilled in the fender tops to insert the 1/8" rod. I put that off for days before working up the nerve to lay a drill bit on freshly painted fenders. :)

Luckily the blue paint is still intact. The windshield is clearer than it appears in the picture. The right side headlight is a little milky in this view, but has cleared up as well since the Testor's clear parts glue has thoroughly dried.

Now on to the chassis details.

IMG_3585b.jpg

IMG_3600b.jpg

IMG_3607b.jpg

Under the hood. Brake assembly is from the Ram VTS kit. The battery is scratch built with zipper teeth for the cable clamps. The throttle lever on the front of the injectors (if you can see it)is a piece of copper wire flattened and bent 90°.IMG_3287b.jpg

IMG_3292b.jpg

This is insanely COOOOL :lol::lol:

As most here know, I love the retro/crossover-look, and this is so "THERE" :angry: .

Nothing like a healthy dose of "ARTZY" imagination and creativity to get the "Juices Flowin" :lol: .

This takes the boredom out of "Cookie Cutter" builds, and give's all of us, me too, a FRESH perspective and some new directions on future projects.

Thanks for being a "RISK TAKER" - YA PULLED IT OFF VERY NICELY - dave :(

Thanks a bunch Dave. Ever since I stumbled onto this site, I've been a big fan of yours, so your comments mean a lot. Some guys can do nice bodywork, or great detail, or have good ideas, but you consistantly manage to combine all three.

I am surprised that you took a peek though, since the Retro-Ram's not roll'n on 22's. ;)

cheers

Getting down to some of the final details. I scratch built a water manifold from styrene rod and radiator hose from a corner piece of sprue. The oil cap is 1/8" & .030" styrene rod with some buffed metalizer. I got in a rush and permanently mounted the engine before fitting the headers. These are from the Revell Hemi Cuda kit, but heavily modified to slip into the tight space. I'm calling the engine done.

The drive shaft is from the Ram VTS kit, shortened and sleeved with aluminum tube. I tried to detail the u-joints a bit as well.

IMG_3611b.jpg

IMG_3657b.jpg

IMG_3560b.jpg

IMG_3667b.jpg

IMG_3694b.jpg

Thanks for the good thoughts, guys. The chassis is done as well. The exhaust is from the Dodge Ram kit with the ends heated and bent this way and that to match up with the head pipes. They are painted with Model Masters stainless metalizer and ended up looking surprisingly similar to the real metal on the drive shaft. The flared tips are some wiring ferrules.

A little clean up on the tires and she'll be ready to go under the glass.

Thanks for your interest and comments.

IMG_3691b.jpg

IMG_3661b.jpg

IMG_3630b.jpg

Edited by Alyn

Thanks for the good thoughts, guys. The chassis is done as well. The exhaust is from the Dodge Ram kit with the ends heated and bent this way and that to match up with the head pipes. The flared tips are some wiring ferrules.

A little clean up on the tires and she'll be ready to go under the glass.

Thanks for your interest and comments.

IMG_3691b.jpg

IMG_3661b.jpg

IMG_3630b.jpg

Great job Alyn :)

Definetly be lookin for more of your work in the future - even without the 22 inchers B):D .

Chuck, I left the V-10 in the parts box for a future project. Yeh, it's got a HEMI!

How the H-E-double hockey stick did I miss THAT? Still... don't want to know.

Again, great setup with the headlamps. Way to prove the naysayers (if there were any) wrong... this is a sweet little street rod!

Jose, I'm not a browser expert, so I can't tell you what settings to check. I've viewed this thread (and the pictures) from three or four different computers using Firefox and Explorer and don't have any problems.

Chuck, I'm not surprised you didn't notice the Hemi swap.

If it was one of the most recognizable engines in recent history, or something more obvious than 10 cylinders vs 8, or maybe that Viper engines are typically port injected, not blown. Then maybe ...

But this was pretty subtle ...

I tried to sneak it by ...

;)

Jose, I'm not a browser expert, so I can't tell you what settings to check. I've viewed this thread (and the pictures) from three or four different computers using Firefox and Explorer and don't have any problems.

If it was one of the most recognizable engines in recent history, or something more obvious than 10 cylinders vs 8, or maybe that Viper engines are typically port injected, not blown. Then maybe ...

;)

its ok, but i wanted to see your project, i dont really know how its going cause i havent seen pics of it, but i wish you the best, and i know its gonna go well

:D

That, or I was half asleep! It happens sometimes, I'll go to a post, make a comment, and have no memory of it whatsoever later.... hey.... who are you people and what are you doing in my house!? B)

Wait a minute... this isn't my house...

Uh-oh...

(SERIOUSLY, though, Alyn- I have no idea how I gaffed up like THAT- I mean, I've only looked at the photos ten or twenty thousand times- it should be BRANDED into my memory by now!)

Edited by Chuck Most